VMware Cloud Community
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recovery site questions: Domain Controller/Vcenter

Guys,

I am new to SRM.  I have a couple questions about the infrastructure setup for the Recovery Site.

1.  My protected site vcenter is broken out into seperate roles, VC/SQL.  On the recovery site for sake of simplicity I would like to just have a single VC server with SQL express.  Do you guys see any issues with that? 

2.  What else should always live at the recovery site from an infrastructure perspective?  Do I need a domain controller or can I just add my Recovery Site vcenter server to the existing DC at the Protected site?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should have AD / DNS server at the recovery site as well. If your vCenter  / SRM are joined to the domain, it will be problematic for them to communicate / authenticate.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

xianmacx wrote:

Guys,

I am new to SRM.  I have a couple questions about the infrastructure setup for the Recovery Site.

1.  My protected site vcenter is broken out into seperate roles, VC/SQL.  On the recovery site for sake of simplicity I would like to just have a single VC server with SQL express.  Do you guys see any issues with that? 

2.  What else should always live at the recovery site from an infrastructure perspective?  Do I need a domain controller or can I just add my Recovery Site vcenter server to the existing DC at the Protected site?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

1. Things you may need to consider:

• No. of VMs - it may reflect the size of the database required. If you only have less than 50 VMs, 4GB SQLExpress limitation should be okay,
  • SQL Recovery mode - it may reflect your database size as well. So, please consider it too especially when you choose full recovery mode,   
  • Update Manager - VUM will require a separate database and SQLExpress tool may become a handy tool for this,

2. Depend on your applications. If there is application dependency (eg.exchange, portal & etc), you may require running DC.

http://www.no-x.org
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should have AD / DNS server at the recovery site as well. If your vCenter  / SRM are joined to the domain, it will be problematic for them to communicate / authenticate.

Michael.

0 Kudos
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the responses guys.

So I should go ahead and build another domain controller at the recovery site, to allow the recovery site SRM server and vcenter server to communicate with the production domain?  Just want to verify...

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, otherwise in case of real disaster failover won't be possible.

Michael.

0 Kudos
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you much!! Ian

0 Kudos