VMware Cloud Community
rz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recovery Plans

Hello,

I'm working with SRM 5.1 using array based replication.  I have a question concerning recovery plans.  We have a very basic setup.  We have a single datastore that is being replicated to our failover site.  There are two vm's on that datastore, say VM1, and VM2.  Is it possible to create 3 Recovery Plans for this scenario:

1. Recovery plan A just for VM1

2. Recovery plan B just for VM2

3. Recovery plan C for both VM1 and VM2.

I thought this was possible in version 4.1, but it seems like the recovery plan for 5.1 has to include all the vm's on the datastore.  I saw the options for leaving a vm powered on or off in a recovery plan, but that setting is then set globally for the vm in all recovery plans.

I realize I'm probably missing something here so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This will not work:failover / planned migration will always shutdown both VMs at the protected site.

Even that you set VM as poweroff in RP, it is still protected and will be shutdown.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you use array replication the failover happens on the LUN / datastore layer --> You can´t just failover a single VM form a datastore with multiple VMs.

Check out my SRM guide for more details: http://vknowledge.net/2012/06/24/srm-tutorial-part-1-lab-setup/

Cheers,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As Mario sais, this is not possible.

This was not possible with any version of SRM.

Michael.

rz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both for your responses.  I understand that when the replicated LUN is brought on-line on the recovery side it will contain both VM's.  I just thought you could create different recovery plans for which vm's would either be registered or powered on on the recovery side.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This will not work:failover / planned migration will always shutdown both VMs at the protected site.

Even that you set VM as poweroff in RP, it is still protected and will be shutdown.

Michael.

0 Kudos
rz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos