VMware Cloud Community
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Re: SRM Replication

Hello Guys,

I have a Scenario and i need some solution for this. We dont have  SRM in place right now. We have two virtual machines with huge capacity say around 3TB shared across different luns(SAN) . We are facing problems to backup those VM's. We would like to Use SRM for this. My question if i have the SRM instances at vcenter and DR site can the SRM protect or replicate these machines from vcenter (SAN) on to a NAS in the DR site. Can we recover the VM's from NAS in DR site at the time of disaster recovery and make them boot on the SAN???

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can use vSphere replication as part of SRM to replicate vms from a SAN in the primary site to a NAS/NFS storage in the recovery site - some things to keep in mind you will need a vCenter installed at the recovery site along with and ESXi host-

Why would you want to have it copy back to the SAN - why not just boot the instance in the recovery site until the primary site is back in operation?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can use vSphere replication as part of SRM to replicate vms from a SAN in the primary site to a NAS/NFS storage in the recovery site - some things to keep in mind you will need a vCenter installed at the recovery site along with and ESXi host-

Why would you want to have it copy back to the SAN - why not just boot the instance in the recovery site until the primary site is back in operation?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstien,

Couple more questions? As we are protecting only two vm's if the DR vcenter has only one host will it work for protection or do we have to have two hosts and also do we need to have the clusters for the two hosts for  the SRM to work??

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not need two host in the recovery site  nor do you need a cluster but remember if and when you fail over and you lose your host you will be down -

vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok Got it Weinstien,

So if we have the cluster then even if a single host fails we are good with other Host. If we have a single host and if it fails then we are in trouble.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am assuming we are talking about cofniguring a VMware HA cluster in the recovery site and then you will be protected in the event of a host failure - with single host and it fails you are in trouble -

0 Kudos