VMware Cloud Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Questions need answering before deploying SRM?

What steps and questions do I need to have answered before attempting to deploy SRM?

For instance, do I need help from the SAN team to insure the SAN replication is done correctly? Do I need help from networking team?

I have a Primary and DR site. I have 8 ESX hosts and a vCenter server in primary and 4 ESX hosts and a vCenter server in DR.

Where do I start?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The SAN team needs to insure replication is set up and functioning properly- and also make sure your SAN replication is supported by SRM

The network team needs to insure networking is configured approriately at the primary and DR site to insure connectivity can be established when failover occurs -

Intall SRM and the Site Replication Adapters at each site -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The SAN team needs to insure replication is set up and functioning properly- and also make sure your SAN replication is supported by SRM

The network team needs to insure networking is configured approriately at the primary and DR site to insure connectivity can be established when failover occurs -

Intall SRM and the Site Replication Adapters at each site -

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See also technical resources at:

http://www.vmware.com/products/site-recovery-manager/resource.html

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to make provision for a database at either site which will be used by SRM. Most people seem to opt for SQL.

Note: If you're going to use SQL 2005, you'll also need to install the native client on the SRM server.

Other things to consider: You will need a small LUN at the DR site which will be used to place shaddow copies of protected virtual machines.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would start with trying to understand the technical requirements and the business requirements. Read up on SRM. As soon as you understand what SRM is about these questions will be answered. Yes you do need the Storage Team(Sync/A-Sync, Replication Groups etc) and yes you do need the Networking team(Stretched VLAN's or not etc?).

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter: