VMware Cloud Community
devnull1101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question about SRM and vCenter

My company is going to a VMware environment. We are looking at two different solutions from two different vendors. I'm getting conflicting information and need some help.

Vendor A assisted us with a virtualization assessment, and provided us with a solution for the vSphere Advanced acceleration kit for 6 sockets (VS4-ADV-AK-C), a copy of vCenter standard (for SRM site), and 4 SRM licenses (we're looking at 2 esx hosts at protected site and only doing srm one way). My understanding is this will allow for 2 esx hosts at protected site to allow one way failover to 1 esx host at DR site.

Vendor B: has suggested the same vSphere acceleration kit, and for SRM has suggested vCenter SRM v4 Acceleration Kit for vSphere

Advanced (VCSRM4AAK-C).

I've been told Vendor A's solution won't work but it looks like it will, so that is question #1. Is Vendor A's solution workable even if not best practice?

My main question however is the vSphere acceleration kit (VS4-ADV-AK-C) comes with vCenter Foundation. I can't find where I saw/read it but I was under the impression SRM required vCenter Standard (not Foundation) at both sites. Will SRM work with vCenter Foundation at one location and Standard at the other? If so which site (protected or DR) needs to have the vCenter Standard and which can use Foundation (if there's any difference). Or will we wind up having to purcase a vCenter Standard to replace the copy of Foundation in both Vendor's solutions?

Any input on this appreciated as I'm getting conflicting stories from both vendors..

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First, I can not speak authoritatively on most aspects of licensing or the acceleration kits!

Next, it appears as though vCenter 4 Foundation is not supported by SRM 4.0, found this in the compatibility Matrix:

ESX and vSphere Server Requirements

SRM 4.0 is compatible with:

 VMware vSphere 4 Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus editions

 VMware Infrastructure 3 Enterprise, Foundation, and Standard editions

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_compat_matrix_4_0.pdf

Personally, when I have to deal with the non-technical aspects of the job I call VMware and have them do the work for me...the sales phone number is all over the website. Alternatively, have your vendor setup a meeting/call with the local VMware account manager (that's a good relationship to establish). It's your budget, make your vendor work for their share and prove they are providing a suitable solution.

Cheers!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
devnull1101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks TimOudin,

In what you said "VMware vSphere 4 Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus editions" both quotes include vSphere 4 advanced. Also in that document it has:

Table 4. vSphere Supported Releases and Required Patches

vCenter Server Release Required Patches

4.0 (build 162902) None

It only shwos vCenter Server. Doesn't mention standard or Foundation. This is where my confusion starts.

I've done conference calls with the vendor and their respective VMware experts, the Vendor's VMware experts are the ones who setup the quotes. To add a little more confusion to the mix, Vendor A's vmware guy said yes SRM requires vCenter Standard and the accel kit they quoted includes it instead of Foundation.

Vendor B's guy said no it doesn't require vCenter Standard, and that the only diff between Foundation and Standard is Foundation can only manage 3 esx hosts max.

Since I haven't been able to find any documentation stating either way (only that vCenter is required), it's been confusing as to who to believe.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your correct, I totally misread! I now understand, and share, the confusion. I'd call VMware directly if you don't get someone to speak up here as I've burned by a vendors so called technology experts.

Good luck!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

any update on this question ?

Itzik

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
devnull1101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry I forgot to close this quesiton. Yes it's been answered. I got in touch with a VMware employee via PM.

The answer is SRM DOES require vCenter Standard at both locations. The "VMware vSphere Advanced Acceleration Kit" does come with vCenter Foundation and that will not work for SRM unless you get a upgrade from vCenter Foudnation to vCenter Standard.

The "VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 4 Acceleration Kit for vSphere Advanced" is the same as the above listed kit, except it comes with 6 SRM licenses and vCenter Standard instead of vCenter Foundation.

In theory, going for minimal purchase, the "VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 4 Acceleration Kit for vSphere Advanced" and a additional copy of vCenter Standard can get you up and running with vSphere Advanced and SRM, you're just limited to a total of 6 socket licenses for your hosts to split between 2 locations. Either as 6 single processor servers split up between main and recovery site, or 3 dual processor servers divided up between two sites. Not a best or reccomended solution, but woudl be functional.

Thank you everyone that helped and answered.

0 Kudos