VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

PureArray ActiveDR with SRM - How do I seperate volumes into their own Protection Groups and RP's?

I created Array to Array replication between two Pure FlashArray X20's.  This is called ActiveDR.  Inside this ActiveDR I have 4 filesystems, Tier1, Tier2, Tier3, Tier4.

In Site Recovery Manager > Array Based Replication > Array Pairs, it shows the ActiveDR-HQPod <> ActiveDR-DRPod.  Under discover device, it shows all 4 volumes which we have various VMs on in terms of priority.

If I create a New Protection Group I would then do Datastore groups (array-based replication), but then on step 3 it shows all 4 volumes and there's no place in the UI to just select the volume I want.

I want to create 4 separate protection groups and recovery plans so when I test, I don't have to wait for 55 VMs to power up on the DR site.  If I want that, I don't mind creating a "FULL" Recovery plan that contains everything in plans 1 through 4 in case of a full on DR, but why cant I separate this out?

Im SRM 8.5 but I downloaded 8.6 so I will upgrade and see if that is resolved.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jordanovi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Generally, SRM aggregates datastores into datastore groups to accommodate VMs that span multiple datastores. 

You can check How Site Recovery Manager Computes Datastore Groups . If you still have the issue, I would recommend filing an SR (could be also a bug in Pure Storage SRA)

Hope this helps

Ivan

0 Kudos
codypure
Contributor
Contributor

This is how ActiveDR and SRM works--each pod is a consistency group and is failed over together. This consistency relationship is respected by SRM and therefore SRM puts them in the same datastore group. If you want to fail them over individually you need to put them in different ActiveDR pods.

0 Kudos