VMware Cloud Community
EddieH3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Protecting VMs with RDMs

I've been reading through some of the older discussions about replicating and protecting RDMs and I haven't read any good news yet.

I have one volume on a v6080 cluster replicating with snapmirror to a fas6080 cluster. I have verified that the luns are replicated and are mapped to the recovery site esx hosts. I re-scanned on both sides and verified that the luns are presented through the VC on both sides. I have one VM with a VMFS lun and 3 RDM luns (RDMs were created with SnapDrive 6.0). When I go to configure protection for the VM, the VMFS lun state is "replicated" for the recovery location, but the 3 RDMs show as "not configured". My only 2 options are to detach (which won't allow me to recovery those RDMs) or to browse a datastore on the recovery site and locate a .vmdk, .dsk, or .raw which won't exist because the replicated luns are read-only. Right?

What am I missing? Has anyone had success replicating and failing over RDMs attached to a VM?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

Eddie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PetervandenBosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Eddie,

i hada similar problem with HP storage RDM's. I did a rescan (twice as usual) in the SRM configuration => array managers and then it worked for me.

regards, Peter van den Bosch

Usefull? Award me a few points Smiley Wink

regards, Peter van den Bosch Usefull? Award me a few points 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PetervandenBosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Eddie,

i hada similar problem with HP storage RDM's. I did a rescan (twice as usual) in the SRM configuration => array managers and then it worked for me.

regards, Peter van den Bosch

Usefull? Award me a few points Smiley Wink

regards, Peter van den Bosch Usefull? Award me a few points 😉
0 Kudos
EddieH3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like the RDMs are now "replicated" according to SRM. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos