VMware Cloud Community
xirvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Installing SRM 5.0.1

I am doing a proof of concept for SRM at our company and have come across a problem.  I have two test Vcentres installed abd working, one at the protected and one at the recovery. Each VCentre has its own SQL server database on seperate systems at each site. I have a DSN created for the VCentre and also create a DSN to a seperate dartabase on the same database server at each site (so two DSNs pointing to two databases at each site). When I try to connect the SRM database using the DSN test it is fine. When I try to get the SRM install to see the database it gives me the following error:

srm1.JPG

Despite the fact that I am using two seperate databases, one for Vcentre and one for SRM

srm2.JPG

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Even that SRM must be installed on 64-bit server, it still requires 32-bit DSN. Run odbcad32.exe from c:\windows\syswow64 folder.

Also make sure you read SQL DB configuration requirements section of the admin guide.

Michael.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

you may be using sererate DBs, but are they seperate instances,  both share common schema table names.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
xirvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Mal_Michael:

Even that SRM must be installed on 64-bit server, it still requires 32-bit DSN. Run odbcad32.exe from c:\windows\syswow64 folder.

Also make sure you read SQL DB configuration requirements section of the admin guide.

I ran this and the same system DSNs exist in that ODBC data Source Administrator so I don't think this is the problem.

Tom:

you may be using sererate DBs, but are they seperate instances, both share common schema table names.

Can you explain a bit more about this please? We are currently using one physical server with one SQL Server Instance at each site. There is one database for the VCentre and a second database for the SRM configured on each SQL Server Instance. I don't look after the SQL dies of things so I am unfamiliar with the term 'common schema table names', however can you confirm if the VCentre database and SRM database need to be on their own SQL Server Instances?

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
xirvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I just wanted to update this post as I have a solution.

SRM needs a 32bit driver, which VCentre uses a 64Bit.

When installing the SRM ODBC connection I ran it from c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, which opens a similar GUI to the one available from Start/AdminTools/Data Sources (ODBC). Although I added the VSphere DSN from the 64-bit utility it also appears in the 32-bit window which is confusing.

However I added the SRM connection using the same "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" and it worked. I had a bit of help with this from a DELL resource so thanks to him!

Cheers

0 Kudos