VMware Cloud Community
tcjoyce
Contributor
Contributor

Problem configuring protection on VM with RDM LUN - NetApp

Greetings,

I have SRM (4.1.1) setup and working very well, I have successfully completed tests using machines that do not have RDM LUNs.  This is on NetApp with OnTap 7.3.5 using adapter 1.4.3P1.  The VM datastores are all NFS.

The problem comes when trying to configure protection for VMs with RDM luns using SnapDrive.  Even though the LUNs as well as the RDM data volume (called 'rdm_data') are replicated to the DR site, the "Configure Protection" wizard says: "A virtual machine has one or more devices which don't have backings on replicated LUNs".

When I go through the wizard, it claims that the three LUNs configured as RDMs are "Not Configured", as opposed to "Replicated" as is shown for the two NFS disks.  It does, however, detect the rdm_data datastore and has the correct Protection Location listed for that datastore.

I'm not even sure if this is a NetApp or VMware issue, but I'm hoping I just missed an obvious configuration step somewhere along the line.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Could you explain what is "rdm_data'? NFS datastore? What is it used for?

Michael.

0 Kudos
tcjoyce
Contributor
Contributor

It's the datastore with the RDM LUN mapping, as specified at this point when creating the RDM LUN in Snap Drive.

6-22-2011 1-43-47 PM.gif

0 Kudos
ar1es
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Is there a reason why you're using a different datastore for your RDM's?

-rp

0 Kudos
tcjoyce
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know where it was, but I recall reading that that was either a recommendation or a requirement somewhere by either NetApp or VMware.

In any case, when I try storing it with the VM, I receive an error when creating a new disk.

Does it seem as though that could be causing this?

0 Kudos
tcjoyce
Contributor
Contributor

I found the reason for the dedicated datastore...

The Snap Drive documentation says that in cases where the VM is stored on NFS, you must select a VMFS datastore to hold the RDM mapping files.

0 Kudos
ar1es
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct. Inside the datastores, you have the virtual machine place holder (folder). I usually store all virtual machine attributes inside the VM folder for consistency and administrative reasons.

Are both LUNS being replicated at the same time?

-rp

0 Kudos
tcjoyce
Contributor
Contributor

No, they aren't.  The rdm_data lun is replicated much more frequently, several times an hour.

0 Kudos