VMware Cloud Community
pkodeer
Contributor
Contributor

Problem at install

Hi,

Failed to create database tables.

Details:

DB does not contain SRM schema:VdbError: Column name does not exists in table dr_product_info

ODBC settings are correct.

The installer is VMware-srm-1.0.1-128004.exe.

After the 2nd time, it is halted:

Failed to install certificate.

Details:

<nothing>

Can anyone tell me a resolution?

- Enterprise - 68x ESX 3.5.0 build 143128 2x VC 2.5.0 build 147633 more than 300 Guest OS
0 Kudos
9 Replies
pkodeer
Contributor
Contributor

watch screenshot...

- Enterprise - 68x ESX 3.5.0 build 143128 2x VC 2.5.0 build 147633 more than 300 Guest OS
0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

can you describe your install process / workflow / GuestOS being used to host SRM / RDBMS being used?

are you following the admin guide?

highlevel steps would normally be (assuming VC installed and you want to install SRM on a separate VM)

- in your RDBMs instance create and empty database for SRM

- on your SRM VM create system DSN for database just created, test connection

- run SRM installer (note SRM does not create its own database it expects the empty database "shell/skeleton" to be there)

- if you see the certificate error usually hitting "retry" will fix the issue

Once you have completed above you then repeat these steps at the recovery site for the recovery site SRM server. not the second SRM server again needs its own unique database.

best regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
pkodeer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Lee!

At first I'd like to install this software on our backup site.

These were my steps:

- I made local user on an MS SQL 2005 server.

- I've created an empty DB ('"srm"). On this DB this user has at Role member db_owner right, and at Permissions at "Create table" with Grant-ed access.

- On the srm backup site server created a System DSN connection with SQL Native Client with a successful connection to this DB with this local auth. user...

- After I tried to install SRM.

- Interesting, If I connect to backup site's virtual center, I can find a new plugin like "VMware Site Recovery Manager version 1.0.1"

(but after click on it I got a message: The remote server resturned on error: (503) Server Unavailable)

mini steps:

- After runs again the installer: If I choose at the VC registration step the "no" thre install not continued... so clicked on YES... Smiley Sad

- Automatically generate a certificate...

- use existing db...

- at the progess bar "installing cerificate" ... the problem again... if click on cancel comes the roll back...

PS.: SRM and VC are VMs...

Of course the two sides have own DB...

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

At first glance without seeing your install logs this looks like a basic user permissions issue and yours are too restrictive. As a simple test use the administrator account and ensure they have FULL SQL rights/privileges. I have performed thousands of SRM installs using admin accounts for both windows/SQL and have never seen these issues so that would be my number one suspicion.

Use Windows Authentication if the DB server is local to the SRM server, and SQL Authentication if the DB server is remote to the SRM server. Make sure the schema for the database has the same name as the user.

In summary Microsoft SQL Server has the following configuration requirements when used with SRM:

1. The schema name must be the same as the user name. You must have a default schema associated with your user account.

2. You must have bulk insert administrator privileges.

3. If you are using Windows authentication, the SRM server and database server must run on the same host. If the database is remote to the SRM server use SQL Authentication.

4. If SQL Server is installed locally, you might need to disable the Shared Memory network setting on the database server.

5. The SRM database user must be granted the following permissions: connect, create table, create view.

You won't be able to use the SRM plugin until you have SRM successfully installed. Until you are installed correctly every time you access the plugin you will simply see the message " The remote server resturned on error: (503) Server Unavailable".

Cheers

Lee

pkodeer
Contributor
Contributor

On the SQL server the user has been attached to sysadmin group... and than works...

But this is not the right solution...

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

just so I am clear your saying that if you have your user in sysadmin group then your whole install process (inc all errors listed in posts above) goes through ok?

the minimum pre-reqs we document for SQL srvr are these:

1. The schema name must be the same as the user name. You must have a default schema associated with your user account.

2. You must have bulk insert administrator privileges.

3. If you are using Windows authentication, the SRM server and database server must run on the same host. If the database is remote to the SRM server use SQL Authentication.

4. If SQL Server is installed locally, you might need to disable the Shared Memory network setting on the database server.

5. The SRM database user must be granted the following permissions: connect, create table, create view.

if you can now get it all working using the sysadmin group method, which it sounds like you can, maybe you can now try following these 5 guidelines and see if that lets you get everything install using these slightly reduced privileges.

0 Kudos
pkodeer
Contributor
Contributor

not exactly... before I made those steps (1,2,3-local sql user auth., 4-not used,5-have set + create view),

(our SQL 2005 DB server is separated on another VM Smiley Happy ) but that wasn't enough...

the install has ended at certificate process again...

finally gave dbadmin rights to our user, and the install process finished well...

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

thanks for the clarification. if you have followed the config recommendations correctly for a setup where the SQL database is remote to the SRM server then the only thing I can suggest is to capture a log during the install process and upload it here. You can create an installation log using the following command line parameters:

C:\install>VMware-srm-1.0.1-128004.exe /V"/lve SRMinstalllog.txt"

Note: syntax above looks odd i know but it is /V"/lve <logfilename"

For SQL server, the SRM DB user doesn’t not need the DB_OWNER permissions. As long as the schema has the same name as the username, and is the default schema for that user, and is owned by that user, then you are ok. You have met each of these critieria yes? Please check these thoroughly as any misses will result in potential install errors.

Cheers

Lee Dilworth

cj0930
Contributor
Contributor

The "failed to installed certificate error" is caused by invalid user right specified for the virtual center server in the SRm installation.

Make sure your using an account that have full administrator right for your Virtual Center

0 Kudos