VMware Cloud Community
HenryGroat
Contributor
Contributor

Planned migration / move Recovery Site

Hi,

I'm very new to SRM and haven't even installed/played with it yet. We are planning to use vSphere replication and SRM to do a planned migration of a small number of VMs from one site (A) to another site (B). We expect the replication of all the VMs over the WAN to take a couple of weeks. We need to minimize server downtime and also avoid buying new server hardware for site (B), so the plan is to first replicate and failover over the VMs from site (A) to a third site (C) which does have available / spare server resources. Then we will move all the server hardware from site (A) to site (B), reverse the direction of replication and protection and then cutover from (C) to (B). My understanding is that this is all possible and straightforward with SRM...

However, we may need to keep the server hardware running at (A) for a few days after the VMs are cutover to (C)  before we can move it to (B).

My question: Is it possible to begin the replication / Reprotect of the VMs from (C) to (A) during those few days and then, when we are ready, move the servers to (B) , then 'resume' / resync the protection and finally cutover the VMs  from (C) to (B). i.e we delay moving the physical servers from (A) to (B) but it has almost no impact on the amount of time that we have to leave the VMs running at (C)

If it's not possible then I think it would be a nice feature! I have noticed this forum post which indicates I may be expecting too much though? (SRM IP Change )

Thanks for any help you can offer...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest using FQDN for all registration. This way there should be little to no effect on any IP change.

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager
0 Kudos