VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Placeholder Datastores for SPPG

I read it somewhere that Placeholder datastore is not required for storage policy based protection group. My question is why it is not required?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ranjna,

here is an excerpt from SRM 6.1 documentation(Site Recovery Manager 6.1 Documentation Center) that can help you:

For storage policy protection, Site Recovery Manager applies inventory mappings to virtual machines when you run a recovery plan that contains a storage policy protection group.

With array-based and vSphere Replication protection groups, Site Recovery Manager applies inventory mappings at the moment that you configure protection on a virtual machine. With storage policy protection groups, because storage policy protection is dynamic, Site Recovery Manager only applies the inventory mappings at the moment that you run a recovery plan. Virtual machine placement decisions are made according to the inventory mappings when a recovery plan runs, so Site Recovery Manager does not create placeholder virtual machines on the recovery site.

Hope that this help,

Daniel G.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That's because it doesn't create Placeholder VMs at all in the SPPG.

So, If you are using SPPGs only in your environment, then no need to configure Placeholder Datastore.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi npadmani,

Thanks for the reply, I know this doesn't create placeholder VMs but without create how it can reserve the place for the recovered vm in the recovery site inventory. I want to understand the logic that why it is now not required to create placeholder VM in SPPG?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ranjna,

here is an excerpt from SRM 6.1 documentation(Site Recovery Manager 6.1 Documentation Center) that can help you:

For storage policy protection, Site Recovery Manager applies inventory mappings to virtual machines when you run a recovery plan that contains a storage policy protection group.

With array-based and vSphere Replication protection groups, Site Recovery Manager applies inventory mappings at the moment that you configure protection on a virtual machine. With storage policy protection groups, because storage policy protection is dynamic, Site Recovery Manager only applies the inventory mappings at the moment that you run a recovery plan. Virtual machine placement decisions are made according to the inventory mappings when a recovery plan runs, so Site Recovery Manager does not create placeholder virtual machines on the recovery site.

Hope that this help,

Daniel G.

RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Daniel, I was looking for the same.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos