VMware Cloud Community
mg1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One protection site to two recovery sites ?

Hi All,

we have already SRM 5.1 running with vSphere replication from two protection sites (SiteA / SiteB) to one recovery site (Site C). The recovery site is a cold site, that means we have only two small host running which manage the replication. For real DR or for rehearsals is the procedure to build hosts, put this to the cluster of the recovery site and start the DR plans. I know that this is not the best solution, but this is the process.

Now, we want to keep this solution for the most VMs but additional connect one of the protection site (Site A) with SRM for some high production machines to the other protection site (Site B) which will be then the recovery site for the high production machines. That means SiteB will be a protection site for hosted machines and recovery site for the high production VMs from SiteA.

Is this possible and supported with SRM 5.1 and vSphere Replication?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Logically I think its support , but need to check if that version supporting this model or not .

"I never look back, it distracts me from the now"
0 Kudos
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should be able to replicate a single site to two different sites.

Below Excerpt From:  VMware KB: Operational Limits for SRM and vSphere Replication

However, it is possible to create a vSphere Replication setup with more than two sites, in which each site has a vCenter Server instance and a vSphere Replication appliance. If you have more than two sites, you can protect more than 500 virtual machines. For example, you can create a setup with three sites, Site A, Site B, and Site C:

• Site A replicates 250 virtual machines to Site B
  • Site A replicates 250 virtual machines to Site C
  • Site B replicates 250 virtual machines to Site C
http://www.theithollow.com
0 Kudos