VMware Cloud Community
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not replicating page disks

As a prerequisite, let me say that I will be using SRM to move my VMs from one datacenter to another as part of a move project, not for DR...

Was reading page 88 of the SRM admin guide about not replicating virtual disks dedicated to OS page files. Most of my VMs are setup with page disks on seperate LUNs than their OS and Data disks, so this is something Id like to look at doing when replicating to the new datacenter site.

Does anyone have any practice in doing this? Any tips/tricks regarding the process on page 88 (which seems to be more a hassle than anything).. Im wondering if it may be easier just to replicate my page disks.

I assume SRM will not allow me to just replicate the OS and data disks since the VM can't start without the page disk as well, is that the case?

Thanks in advance for your input/help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's a hassle indeed and depending on your current bandwidth you will need to decide if it's necesarry to cut it out. if you will you will need to create a LUN for the swap disks on the remote site, easiest method is to replicate it once and remove the replication when done. keep in mind though that you will need to create the vmdk every time you deploy a new protected VM.

This having said I don't have a single customer not replicating their swap disks, the overhead is minimal while the administration costs are just not worth it for most of them. Again this depends on your actual current situation.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's a hassle indeed and depending on your current bandwidth you will need to decide if it's necesarry to cut it out. if you will you will need to create a LUN for the swap disks on the remote site, easiest method is to replicate it once and remove the replication when done. keep in mind though that you will need to create the vmdk every time you deploy a new protected VM.

This having said I don't have a single customer not replicating their swap disks, the overhead is minimal while the administration costs are just not worth it for most of them. Again this depends on your actual current situation.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Duncan,

That is exactly the feedback i was looking for. Thanks for your prompt answer.

BTW, I enjoy reading your blog.. one of the best out there. Thanks for all of your insight.

0 Kudos
Bob_Humber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have (perhaps alone in the world) set up my Windows guests with their Page files on separate discs, that reside on a non-replicated (small) Datastore. The approach I adopted was to create a separate swap disc for each VM and copy it to a corresponding LUN on the Recovery site. Using vcb and snapshots it is possible to do this with the VM running. When creating a protection group it does mean that initially each VM has a Yellow Triangle to indicate hardware that could not be mapped. It is necessary to Configure Protection for each VM, and point the missing link to the copied Swap disk. We have to do this anyway to add a post-power on command to each VM, so this is not a big deal.

The reason for copying each swap file was that using a basic 'template' vmdk with a partition (as suggested in the manual) the Windows drive letter of the Paging drive was lost, as the VM did not recognise the disc, presumably because the signature was different.

One observation is that when VMs have a snapshot at the Protection SIte (as they do during backups as we use vRanger) then swap file writes are in the replicated LUN to the vmdk delta files, so this process is ineffective.

It is quite palava, and one that requires a consistent approach in VM creation to maintain the standard. It is a trade off between bandwidth and ease of administration and simplicity. It would be worth assessing your swap disc usage before committing to the approach of separate swap discs.

If you can afford a big enough pipe, then forget it!

Ax

0 Kudos
steve31783
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for responding Bob. Good info.

Quick question for you... you seem to have a similar setup as myself, splitting the page disk into a seperate vmdk and also using vRanger for backups.

I assume you rename all of your VMDK's (using vmkfstools -E) so the names don't match?

ie. vm_os, vm_data, vm_page

0 Kudos
Bob_Humber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We used to do that but Vizioncore (and/or VMware) have fixed the issue with backups failing with two identically named vmdks in different datastores now. We are running vRanger 3.2.9 and it is not a requirement

0 Kudos