VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to srm - sort of...

It's been a while since posting anything the forums as I am not in an operations role anymore in my organization, however I have recently been tasked with designing and building a second site for our primary vsphere site, and using srm for site recovery,

i have what maybe a dumb question, but with srm 5.1 is failover automated, ie does he system determine when to failover protected virtual machines or does there have to be human intervention for at least that part, initiating that failover.

thanks to all for their input.

peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

No , SRM does not initiate failover on its own,it is is not automated.   Human intervention is required  to confirm that there is disaster and initiate failover.

When we say SRM is autmated, all the intermmediate steps are automated not initiation of failover.

Let me know if  you have more question.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

No , SRM does not initiate failover on its own,it is is not automated.   Human intervention is required  to confirm that there is disaster and initiate failover.

When we say SRM is autmated, all the intermmediate steps are automated not initiation of failover.

Let me know if  you have more question.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. It is as I thought, but I needed confirmation.

much appreciated.

any thoughts as to whether that may be a feature in any upcoming versions or updates to srm? Or do you believe that the human element should always be part of the equation....gosh that sounded like something from Star Trek! Lol

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think human intervention is alway needed for initiation , since no one would like to have failover to DR site due to any false alarm of disaster.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

SRM failover can be initiated automatically via SRM API.

However, I would not recommend running failover this way.

Michael.

0 Kudos