VMware Cloud Community
KasunBandara
Contributor
Contributor

Network Level configurations for SRM

Hi there,

i am new to SRM and this may be noob question. i have few points to clarify about fail-over of sites. i have two sites which connected through site to site VPN and two VCenters installed in both using private IP addressing and each have connectivity. i need to clarify network considerations of SRM before implement it. according to documents, SRM will change the ip addresses automatically to replication side servers on primary site fail. if i have two networks in both sites (192.168.1.0/24 in primary and 192.168.2.0/24 in DR site). on primary failure, 192.168.1.0/24 ip addresses will move to DR site. how can i move 192.168.1.0/24 traffic to DR site? is there a configuration on SRM for that or am i need to do it manually on network level? please guide me.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

It sounds like you might be getting mixed up here. The IP addresses for your vCenters and SRM servers don't matter except that they need to be able to communicate with each other and the other site.

SRM can change the IP address for VMs as part of the recovery plan (note the recovery plan must be triggered manually).

Once your VMs IP addresses have been changed, in your case from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x you would want to get DNS updated so that applications/users can still find your VMs with their old name. This can be accomplished by using MS Dynamic DNS or by running a script from SRM as part of the failover. Sample DNS update scripts are included in the SRM files on the server.

You would also need to do whatever was required from a networking standpoint to have traffic to/from 192.168.2.0/24. I would recommend doing this in advance rather than during a failover.

I would recommend that you create a test network at both of your sites that is isolated from the rest of your networks to use when running recovery plan tests.

0 Kudos