VMware Cloud Community
planb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating SRM 5.1 remote site

I didn't find a clear answer in the documentation, so hence a question.

I'm planning a complete new DR site.

Can I install a new clean VC, SRM (5.1.3) etc. and simply break the connection to the old dr site and connect to the new one ?

Will this retain the existing recovery plan ?

It will be using the same SAN replication source with a new SAN target.

I did consider moving the old vCentre host, but renaming it looks to be an issue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, you may be able to do this in some ways but there will be a lot of rework and while you are doing that you will be unprotected.

Another option where you would potentially have less time unprotected would be to

Deploy SRM & vCenter at the new site.

Deploy a second SRM server at your protected site.

Associate/pair this SRM server with your new DR site.

Configure your array replication, one LUN/Consistency group at a time to point to the new site, while doing this create new PGs & RPs for the moved LUNs

This would have the advantage of an easier fail back plan also.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, you may be able to do this in some ways but there will be a lot of rework and while you are doing that you will be unprotected.

Another option where you would potentially have less time unprotected would be to

Deploy SRM & vCenter at the new site.

Deploy a second SRM server at your protected site.

Associate/pair this SRM server with your new DR site.

Configure your array replication, one LUN/Consistency group at a time to point to the new site, while doing this create new PGs & RPs for the moved LUNs

This would have the advantage of an easier fail back plan also.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
planb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.

Since the SAN remirror will be a few days, lack of protection isn't a major concern during that time.

Would a second SRM in the same vcentre Server work ?

I'm also considering moving the existing vCentre/SRM vm, although it looks like the storage changes may be an issue.

All Lun's will be identical, but I don't know if that will be sufficient to make it work again.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you can have multiple pairs of SRM servers connected to the same vCenter. See: VMware KB: Setting up the shared recovery site feature in VMware Site Recovery Manager 4.x and 5.x

0 Kudos