VMware Cloud Community
cuongquoc
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate VM data on Site recovery manager

Dear all,

the currently, my system have two site (DC,DR), the both sites configuration site recovery manager 5.5 use Array-Based Protection Groups with EMC storage

now, I need replace EMC storage to Pure storage at DC,DR

How to migrate virtual machine from EMC to Pure Storage?

Thank you.

4 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

You would need to:

- Setup the Pure storage SRAs and pair them

- Remove a VM from protection and storage vmotion it to the pure array

- Create a protection group as needed

- Add the moved VM to the new PG

- Repeat as needed for all VMs

- Add new PGs to existing Recovery Plans, or create new RPs

- Make sure to test along the way

cuongquoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply.

If I have applications use raw device mapping in the existing system, use storage vmotion with SRM have nondisruptive?

How to calculate the time for one virtual machine migrate and replicate to DR site?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

See this KB for moving VMs with RDMs: Migrating virtual machines with Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) (1005241) | VMware KB

Note that the RDM will need to be moved from one array to another (I'm thinking that the data would need to be moved from the LUN on the old array to the LUN on the new). I don't think this is possible to do non-disruptively.

Are you talking about calculating the time to storage vmotion? That will depend on your network and your storage. If you are talking about with SRM, it will depend on the replication solution, the VM(s), recovery plan and more. SRM does support non-disruptive testing which can help give you an idea of how long recovery will take.

0 Kudos
cuongquoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for support

0 Kudos