VMware Cloud Community
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft Licensing Requirements For Disaster Recovery Site?

Hi,

The only document I've been able to find on the VMWare site is several years old. Can anybody point me to something that explains what licensing I am required to purchase for VMs at the recovery site (if any).

I don't know if this is a Microsoft or general virtualization question, but I'm going round in circles trying to find an answer.

For example, if we have five 2008R2 virtual servers, I am assuming that we don't actually need licenses to keep them in a "dormant" state at the DR site, while they are being replicated.

However, after we recover the VMs, will they be legally licensed by "inheriting" the licenses from the protected VMs (which will no longer be active), or will we be expected to license them immediately with different licenses?

I'm reading documents mentioning "licences cannot be reassigned within 90 days", and "software assurance" for Volume Licensing, that mentions "cold backups for DR", but it's just not clear to me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is my understanding as long as the machine is for DR that no you do not need a second license for the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Although I do believe that in most cases this is correct regarding not needing to pay for dormant VM lics, I think it would be worthwhile contacting your Microsoft TAM (tech account mgr) just to make sure.

Microsoft are known for changing their mind on these things multiple times in each OS revision.

Depending on which license model your company has (EA, Open Lic, Select etc) may have impacts on this.

You definately do NOT want to make the wrong assumption and then find out your whole DR site is un licensed. Best check with the source.

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I think we need to speak to someone to clarify this.

0 Kudos