VMware Cloud Community
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many to one possible?

Hi,

I've tried searching to find this info with no success. Is it possible using SRM to have multiple primary sites with multiple vcenters all failing over to one recovery site?

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Paul

That is where we wait for a VMware person to come in with a speculative view :] as nothing has been confirmed as of yet AFAIK - my only intimation is soon, given that VMware demoed a tech preview of the next release at VMworld

Regards

Alex Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Paul

This capability is slated AFAIK to be a new feature of the next release of SRM.

It will allow you to create multiple SRM incidences that use the same Virtual Center pair.

The scenario envisaged here is branch office to HQ DR protection and wht it will mean is that each branch office would have its own SRM incidence in a relationship with an SRM incidence back at HQ but that only two VC would need to be used.

So for 8 branch offices you would have potentially 8 SRM incidences (with 8 SRM incidences set up at HQ) but only need two Virtual Centres

Many thanks

Alex Tanner

paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Alex. Any idea when the next release is due for release?

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Paul

That is where we wait for a VMware person to come in with a speculative view :] as nothing has been confirmed as of yet AFAIK - my only intimation is soon, given that VMware demoed a tech preview of the next release at VMworld

Regards

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
jbock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As Alex says, we did show a tech preview of this capability at VMworld and indicated that we hope to be able to deliver that in 2009. We are not able to announce a more specific target at this time, but stay tuned.

--Jon

paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
jbock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Paul,

Today VMware announced Site Recovery Manager 4, which provides the ability to configure fail over from multiple sites to a single common site. More details available in the documentation at http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/srm_pubs.html.

Thanks!

--Jon

0 Kudos
paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Jon,

I saw the headline on the VMware homepage yesterday.

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos