VMware Cloud Community
mhoey
Contributor
Contributor

Location of Recovery Plans

Does anyone know where the recovery plans themselves are located? I've searched the database as best as I can (I'm not a SQL admin,) and I've searched the contents of the SRM server.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GRedner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recovery plans are stored in the database, though spread out among a large number of different tables.

What information are you trying to get at? SRM's database schema was not designed to be convenient for third parties to interpret. If you're looking for a specific piece of information, it may be available elsewhere.

0 Kudos
mhoey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm referring to the whole recovery plan. I'm trying to figure out a way to export, modify and import into the database.

I started to notice the different variables in the pdsr_ databases, but most of it is in numbers and not the text equivalents. Is there a table that calls out what each of the different numbers mean?

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any reasons you don't want to use the SRM console to make changes?

You run the risk of completely messing up the plan by directly modifying the DB.

0 Kudos
mhoey
Contributor
Contributor

We will use SRM Console 99% of the time. Our major concerns are being able to export should someone mess something up. We will already have SQL backed up so a restore from there is possible.

However, we'd love to know how it actually works to see if it is tweakable and possibly make importing easier than a DB restore.

0 Kudos
GRedner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Be extremely careful about doing SQL backups and restores! SRM treats its two databases (at primary and secondary sites) as one, and requires them to remain consistent. So, if you take a snapshot of the database at one site, then change some things in the SRM inventory, then restore the database snapshot, you will likely find yourself in a situation where your SRM installation is completely corrupt.

Really the only way you could safely do a SQL backup and restore at one site is if the SRM servers are not allowed to communicate with each other in between the backup and the restore. The easiest way to accomplish this is to shut down the SRM server at the other site for the duration.

0 Kudos