VMware Cloud Community
anthonypoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Licensing SRM for bi-directional recovery

Hi there,

For some reason I can't seem to find a clear answer to the new licensing model for SRM....

Does anyone know if you still need to license SRM at both sites if you wish to use bi-directional recovery (ie Failover Site A to Site B, then failback)?

So if I had a single SRM license and had 25 VMs in the protection group, will I need to purchase a license for Site A and another for Site B or does the single license now allow me to failover and failback because the licenses are tied to the VMs and not to the host CPUs?

I know in the past with per-cpu licenses you were required to license both sites if you wished to implement bi-directional recovery (because the licenses were tied to the host CPUs), but with the licensing model now moving to per 25 VM licenses, is this still the case or can I use the license for 25 VMs across both sites?

On another note, if I only wished to protect 10 VMs, then can I split the license so only 10 VMs are protected at Site A and 10 VMs at Site B?

Many thanks....

Anthony

http://thevirtualunknown.co.uk/
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Bi-directional protection means that both sites have running protected VMs (each site is "protected" and "recovery" at the same time, also called active-active).

In this situation you have to license all the protected VMs at both sites.

This is not your case, however, as I understand.

In your situation you have to buy licenses only for protected VMs at primary site. After performing failover you can reuse the license key to configure a protection in reverse direction (from secondary to primary). After a failback you can use the same license key again.

Generally, the number of licenses you need equals to the number of protected VMs. BTW, this is correct for per CPU licenses also, you only need to license hosts running protected VMs at primary site and can reuse the key to perform a failback.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Bi-directional protection means that both sites have running protected VMs (each site is "protected" and "recovery" at the same time, also called active-active).

In this situation you have to license all the protected VMs at both sites.

This is not your case, however, as I understand.

In your situation you have to buy licenses only for protected VMs at primary site. After performing failover you can reuse the license key to configure a protection in reverse direction (from secondary to primary). After a failback you can use the same license key again.

Generally, the number of licenses you need equals to the number of protected VMs. BTW, this is correct for per CPU licenses also, you only need to license hosts running protected VMs at primary site and can reuse the key to perform a failback.

Michael.

0 Kudos
anthonypoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for your reply.... 😃

http://thevirtualunknown.co.uk/
0 Kudos