VMware Cloud Community
nz8
Contributor
Contributor

License Question

Hi ive just been given access to our licensing on VMwares site and im not sure how to generate files for our site. Each SRM server is single CPU, DR side only has 1 ESX server with 2.x CPU, Protected Site has 3 x ESX server with 2 CPU's.

Whats the difference between these two types of licenses.

# Purchased\

# Activated\

# Available\

VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Server\

VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager for 1 Processor\

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will need to checkout a license file for each SRM Server

License files should contain

* 1 Management Server license (you can have more than 1, but it does you no good)

* 0 or more processor licenses

The processor licenses are what you're really paying for. To figure out how many you need for a given site, you look at the protected VMs, see what hosts they're on, count the processors on those hosts, and there is the answer.

So, if both sites protect each other, both sites' license files will need processor licenses. If the sites are active/passive, however, the passive site only needs the Management Server license and the active site needs both types.

0 Kudos
satishgte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

SRM licencing we can divide into two

1. SRM licence or Management Server licecne this will configure both sites (protected as well recovery)

2. Per CPU licence this same as ESX server licecence

Since you have 3 esx server with 2 cpu means you need 6 cpu licence for the protection site

R ecovery site you dont need any cpu licence, this is need when you want to create some protected groups planning to create there.

0 Kudos
thomaskn
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

iam in doubt of generating the final license files... Smiley Sad

if iam understanding it in the right way i will in this example genrate the following license files:

protected site: 6x processor

recovery site: 6x management srv

is this right?

can anyone help please?

thanks!

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even though it says you can create 6 management servers, it won't work.

You need 1 x management server and 6 x processor licences if you plan to protect 3 x 2 CPU hosts at the primary site.

Basically you split the licence file up to wotk with the hosts you're protecting.

0 Kudos
virtualtacit
Contributor
Contributor

how is the protected host licensing enforced? If i have 10 cpu licenses which means I am licensed for 5 hosts and the VMs running on them (assuming they are 2 sockets each), If I add another host and try to protect VM's on that host will I get a licensing error? What if I have one datacenter, 2 clusters (1 cluster with 5 hosts and the other with 3), same replicated LUNs across both clusters. If I try to protect VM's running on the 3 node cluster will I get a license error? thanks.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

I can't be sure if you'll get an error as I've not tried this.

The easiest thing is to be honest. Buy enough licenses to cover the protected hosts.

If you want to run more hosts in the protected sites than you can license, just zone the storage correctly and don't let the protected virtual machines run on the hosts without licenses.

0 Kudos
virtualtacit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks MR-T, I saw this at a client site and was expecting to get a license error but did not. Was just curious whether or not I experienced some anomoly or that enforcement was different than I assumed.

0 Kudos