VMware Cloud Community
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Items needed for implementing SRM5.0 with a VNX5300 with ESXi5.0

Hi,

I know from reading the documentation I need to appropriate SRA, which I have. The issues I am seeing is I can not find what particular  NavCLI I need to download.. Do I need to download and install on the ESXi hosts? or somewhere else?

Where do I download it from,  I was given a navcli to install on the ESXi nodes but it is in RPM format, can that be installed on a ESXi node?

Has anyone installed SRM5.0 on a VNX5300?

If so guidance would be appreciative.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi David, I'm not sure if this guide was helpfull or not: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_admin_5_0.pdf

If there is additional info that you wish to see in there please do let us know.

A short version of an answer for you is that there are multiple steps that must happen before you can configure an Array Based Replication.

FYI these are oversimplified and assume that you are familiar with everything mentioned here - if something is not clear - please do let me know.

Part 1: Array Configuration

a) Configure your array with FC/iSCSI LUNs and/or NFS Shares on both arrays for primary and secondary site.

b) Present Datastores to primary site hosts

c) Enable mirrorview replication between primary and secondary site arrays

Part 2:

a) Install vCenter Server on both sides

b) Install ESXi hosts on both sides

c) Configure them to see storage array on primary side only

Part 3: Install SRM

In order to assure that all internal mappings and dependencies are properly taken care of it is recommended to install everything in the following sequence -

1) Navispere CLI (I think latest version is 7.31.32or something like that)

2) Solution Enabler (I think latest version is se7322-WINDOWS-x64.exe)

3) VMware SRM

4) EMC VNX SRA

5) EMC VNX Mirrorview Enabler for VNX SRA (This one is for FC/iSCSI only)

6) EMC VNX Replicator Enabler for VNX SRA (This one is for NFS only)

Now you install all of these packages in the same location where you want to keep your SRM.

In our Lab we kept 3 vm's: 1 for vCenter Server, 1 for DB and 1 for SRM (so all the packages would be installed onto an SRM vm) You don't have to do it that way, but thats an option available to you...

NOTE: Package numbers might have changed - please don't quote me on those...

I hope this helps, good luck.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi David, I'm not sure if this guide was helpfull or not: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_admin_5_0.pdf

If there is additional info that you wish to see in there please do let us know.

A short version of an answer for you is that there are multiple steps that must happen before you can configure an Array Based Replication.

FYI these are oversimplified and assume that you are familiar with everything mentioned here - if something is not clear - please do let me know.

Part 1: Array Configuration

a) Configure your array with FC/iSCSI LUNs and/or NFS Shares on both arrays for primary and secondary site.

b) Present Datastores to primary site hosts

c) Enable mirrorview replication between primary and secondary site arrays

Part 2:

a) Install vCenter Server on both sides

b) Install ESXi hosts on both sides

c) Configure them to see storage array on primary side only

Part 3: Install SRM

In order to assure that all internal mappings and dependencies are properly taken care of it is recommended to install everything in the following sequence -

1) Navispere CLI (I think latest version is 7.31.32or something like that)

2) Solution Enabler (I think latest version is se7322-WINDOWS-x64.exe)

3) VMware SRM

4) EMC VNX SRA

5) EMC VNX Mirrorview Enabler for VNX SRA (This one is for FC/iSCSI only)

6) EMC VNX Replicator Enabler for VNX SRA (This one is for NFS only)

Now you install all of these packages in the same location where you want to keep your SRM.

In our Lab we kept 3 vm's: 1 for vCenter Server, 1 for DB and 1 for SRM (so all the packages would be installed onto an SRM vm) You don't have to do it that way, but thats an option available to you...

NOTE: Package numbers might have changed - please don't quote me on those...

I hope this helps, good luck.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
danbarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

David,

Navisphere CLI and Solutions Enabler (see Igor's great reply for the full dependency list) are obtained from EMC's support site. You will need the 64-bit versions of each since SRM 5.x is now fully 64-bit. NaviCLI and SE need to be installed on your SRM server, nothing needs to go on your ESXi hosts.

The VNX SRA and Enablers are available on the VMware download site for the version of SRM you're installing.

At my last job we had a VNX5300 with SRM, and everything worked great.

0 Kudos