VMware Cloud Community
ThomDaleyPPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with making storage writable on Recovery

Hi,

I have been receiving the following error message when I attempt to recover a VM, Windows 2012 R2 on a 100G datastore and a physical mode RDM attached:

8. Change Recovery Site Storage to WriteableError - Failed to recover datastore 'SRM-TestDS'. VMFS volume residing on recovered devices '"52"' cannot be found. Recovered device '52' not found after HBA rescan.2014-09-08 21:19:14 (UTC 0)2014-09-08 21:19:24 (UTC 0)
8.1. Protection Group SRM-Test-FOError - Failed to recover datastore 'SRM-TestDS'. VMFS volume residing on recovered devices '"52"' cannot be found. Recovered device '52' not found after HBA rescan.2014-09-08 21:19:14 (UTC 0)2014-09-08 21:19:24 (UTC 0)

The set up is SRM 5.5.1.8569, with IBM SVCs at both sites running SRA version 2.3.0.  The RDM shows up fine at the Recovery site but the datastore the VM is on gives the above error. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Thom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomDaleyPPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I resolved this issue today.  It turns out that the storage should not be mapped to the ESXi hosts at the recovery site.  The User Guide for the SRA didn't have that at a configuration requirement.  Once I unmapped the drives, cleaned up the mirrors, and the recovery plan and protection groups and re-ran the test it worked fine.

Thom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThomDaleyPPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I resolved this issue today.  It turns out that the storage should not be mapped to the ESXi hosts at the recovery site.  The User Guide for the SRA didn't have that at a configuration requirement.  Once I unmapped the drives, cleaned up the mirrors, and the recovery plan and protection groups and re-ran the test it worked fine.

Thom

0 Kudos