VMware Cloud Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to use stretched VLANs across a 10mbps pipe?

The plan is to have a 10mbps pipe between primary and DR site. I would like to do stretched VLANs.   Is this a good idea? Can it be done? I'm using Lefthand as my SANs at both sites? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using stretched VLANs? I would assume it would make setting up SRM easier, correct?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It depends on how you are stretching at layer 2. For example MPLS uses a single spanning tree on both sides, which increases chances of network interuption. OTV does not stretch the spanning tree, which is great but it requires Nexus 7ks (expensive).

Also here is an article on stretched clusters that applies a few good ideas you may want to consider.

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2008/06/the-case-for-an.html

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Im not trying to do stretched clusters.

Here is my setup

3 esxi hosts and left hand san at HQ

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Gotcha. I thought there were some good takeaways in that post besides the stretched clusters that would be helpful.

I highlighted some technologies used to stretch VLANs in my reply (MPLS, OTV). Which technology are you going to use?

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos