VMware Cloud Community
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Is anyone having trouble using the Customization Spec to change IP of VM's?

So we have been playing with SRM in our LAB environment before rolling into production. On the recovery site I created a Spec to re-ip a VM, for example lets say from 10.1.26.100 to 10.100.26.100. What it appeared like was that the VM was recovered and initially had the changed IP address of 10.100.26.100, then it shutdown and restarted with the original address. The only thing I can think of is that my test VM seems to have an issue shutting down cleanly - it blue screens every time. So maybe it's not keeping the setting and reverting back?

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewCEvans
Contributor
Contributor

We are running into very similar issues with getting the IP addresses to change on Windows 2003 (7 servers) and Windows 2008 (1 server) servers. Seems to work correctly only on 3 out of 8 servers during a failover testing. I have had a case open with VMware support since the end of March 2009 to try and troubleshoot this problem. The only recommendation from support was that the IP update was actually successful, but required an additional reboot to actual show up. That didn't seem to be the case for us. Seems to be pretty consistent about which machiens work and which machines don't, but the logs in SRM are inconsistent about whether or not they show an error during the failover process.

Are there log files someplace that can tell us what is going on with the Customization Specification process? I realize that Customization Specifications aren't SRM specific, but the fact that it doesn't work consistently is holding up the completion of an SRM project for us.

Matthew Evans

Kraft & Kennedy, Inc.

360 Lexington Ave.

New York, NY 10017

Direct: 212.692.5608

email: evans@kraftkennedy.com

Matthew Evans Kraft & Kennedy, Inc. 360 Lexington Ave. New York, NY 10017 Direct: 212.692.5608 email: evans@kraftkennedy.com
PeterVG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Matthew,

IP changes via Guest customizations for W2K8 guests is not yet supported in the current release of SRM (even though VC 2.5 U4 supports W2k8 guest customizations).

I also have problems with re-ip'ing VM's with more then 1 NIC, After the re-ip'ing, SRM is supposed to shutdown the VM, but for some reason the shutdown command fails and generates this error: Error: A general system error occurred: Cannot execute scripts.

I heard through the grapevine that a solution to this problem would be available soon...

Peter

jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Ok, I was successful at the change of an IP address. I used the customization spec - this time my server did not blue screen, that seemed to be the problem. From what I can tell the process in SRM is that the server is powered on, the IP change is made, and then the VM is restarted. I think my blue screen did not allow the IP change to be properly saved. Next stop - more than one VM with the batch method.

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos