VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installation Error

Trying to install SRM 5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with a SQL 2008 DB.

I get the error message "Failed trying to create database tables" Details: <blank>

If I hit retry, I get some further details.

I can confirm that the username is the same as the database name, SQL authentication is configured and the user has db owner on the db.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

JB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the second screenshot in your attachment tells you the table already exists...before we go checking the db account etc just a quick sanity check and i don't mean to be patronising but i've seen this mistake before......make sure the DSN connection you are using is not already pointing to an existing SRM database. i had a similar question from a customer before and they didn't see that the DSN connections they had created on their SRM servers actually both pointed to the same SQL server database so after one was installed the second SRM server install tried to overwrite the first one if that makes sense.

if you cannot even get the first database installed then check where the DSN is pointing as your error clearly tells you the database table exists and it will not create it twice. so either drop the database and create a clean empty one and try again or check the SQL user permissions. all you should need to do at a high level:

- create SQL account for db access
- create db, assign SQL account to own db
- create 32-bit odic DSN connection on SRM server to access db (make sure you use the 32bit odbc exe if on 64-bit windows)

0 Kudos
maerlim
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Not sure if dbowner is enough. Wasn't it for vCenter / Update manager that the account also needs "Bulk insert" permissions? Maybe also for SRM

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos