VMware Cloud Community
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Identify VM being replicated with VR

Hi,

is there way to identify VM is being protected by VR

I know psf file is created in the home directory of VM and hbr filters are added to VMX file but there is no explaination as to what those means.

scsi0:0.hbr_filter.rdid        RDID-b3c1e33c-e1a7-4bba-8ca0-39f557fa3316

scsi0:0.hbr_filter.persistent  hbr-persistent-state-RDID-b3c1e33c-e1a7-4bba-8ca0-39f557fa3316.psf

scsi0:1.hbr_filter.rdid        RDID-f93c3b57-7fd0-4a40-acdf-4a0dadbf2b14

scsi0:1.hbr_filter.persistent  hbr-persistent-state-RDID-f93c3b57-7fd0-4a40-acdf-4a0dadbf2b14.psf

Appreciate if you can assist

Cheers,

Preetam

With Great Regards,
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Preetam,

Can you clarify what you mean by "identify VM being protected by VR" ?

You could use the vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getConfig or vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getState commands at the host.

The RDID value is an internal indentifier of a replicated disk. The VR appliance at the recovery site uses it to match the incoming replication traffic with the replicated vmdks.

Regards,

Martin

Message was edited by: mvalkanov

Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Martin Valkanov wrote:

Hi Preetam,

Can you clarify what you mean by "identify VM being protected by VR" ?

Hi Martin,

I've customer who needs to know which VM are replicated based on that he can charge internally for protection.

I'm thankful to you for providing some solution. However I've powershell script which will be used by client to pull the VM details. So I was wondering if there was way to extract this information via powershell.

Our ESXi servers are locked down therefore we cannot access host console. Only option is vSphere API which I don't know anything about. I can only script. I was wondering if the filter can be used.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Preetam,

The replication configuration of VM is not exposed through the PropertyCollector and can't be listened for changes through it. However, there are events on the VM or source host or vCenter Server root folder that can be monitored for.

There is no public API for vSphere Replication yet.

Regards,

Martin

Message was edited by: mvalkanov