VMware Cloud Community
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

IBM SVC with SRM

Is anyone using the new SRA for the IBM SVC? I have a copy of the SRA but I am having trouble finding any documentation for the SRA. Is anyone configured this storage to work correctly with SRM? Any gotchas?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will be shortly. There are always gotcha's.

I have done Lefthand and Equallogic with success, some gotcha's, but successful.

It appears that activeperl is required although missing from the doc. The doc was poorly written also. So I will post an update as soon as I can regarding the outcome of the install.

I am also posting the PDF if you don't have it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
mitchellm3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I too am interested if you or anyone has this working with the SVC. I don't plan on getting to this for a little while but it will be quite interesting to know of any gotchas as far as the SVC is concerned...cause there probably are some.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SVA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

we tested SRM in our LAB with Lefthand apliance and SVC and have a lot of problems during the configuration for the svc.

the installation guide is not very useful and the error messages during the installation of the array manager are very poor.

we cant get a connection to the CIM agent. each time we enter the IP adress with the port e.g. 10.1.1.1:5989 we only get the message: "error accoured"

thats all.

does anybody had the same problems ?

thanks

Chris

Timothy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had the same problem. However it seems the scripts need perl (and this is not installed by default). Install activeperl on the srm machine to get it working

CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All,

I have not been able to locate the SRA for the ibm SVC.

Does anyone have the link?

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

all SRA's are linked off the same page you end up at when you download SRM itself.

Go back to www.vmare.com/download then proceed as you would if you were downloading SRM itself. when you reach the last screen/page there is a table containing a link to download the SRM bits and below that in same table are links for all of the SRAs.

hope that helps

cheers

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is SVC certified yet?

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yep. see attached screenshots from storage support guide for SRM and also download page for the SRA's.

cheers

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, got it. Problem is only certain accounts can access the downloads and I am not one of them. I got it from someone here with the right credentials.

c

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I guess that comes back to my original question. Is anyone using the SRA for the IBM SVC? Is there documentation available for the SRA install and are there any "gotchas" when using the SVC with Site Recovery Manager?

Anyone? Do I hear crickets?

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will be shortly. There are always gotcha's.

I have done Lefthand and Equallogic with success, some gotcha's, but successful.

It appears that activeperl is required although missing from the doc. The doc was poorly written also. So I will post an update as soon as I can regarding the outcome of the install.

I am also posting the PDF if you don't have it.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting the doc, I have not been able to find it anywhere.

I see that Metro Mirror is mentioned as the copy method for the SVC. Do you know if Global Mirror is a supported copy method? It seems that SRM would be severly limited for DR purposes if Metro Mirror is the only copy method.

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

thanks for uploading that doc. i had not seen that one either.....nowhere obvious to be found on the usual IBM websites...

0 Kudos
Timothy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that SRM is succesfully working with SVC. I ran into 2 different problems

-First of all like I posted before, you'll need to install perl on the machine that is hosting SRM. You can find perl for windows @

-When we installed SRM on the E drive. However the ibm installation wizard does not ask you where you want to install the SRA scripts so they are installed on the C drive by default. You'll need to copy the script drive in c:\program files\vmware\vmware srm\ to the similar location on your E drive. Note you want have this problem if you installend SRM on the default c: drive

-Restart the VMware SRM services after you have installed SRA scripts, otherwise you won't be able to select the SRA

-Check if you cimon agents are running on your SVC nodes. As address you will need to enter the <cluster ip>:5989 if your are running firmware version 4.3.1 embedded cimon or higher. Otherwise enter the master console ip address.

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tim,

in the earlier thread you stated that Active Perl should be on the SRM server and this last thread you stated the SVC. Can you clarify?

cr

0 Kudos
Timothy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed a mistake, I'll correct it

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tim,

how do we confirm that the CIM agent is on the master console?

We get an error that says " Error while executing discover LUNS command" , I'm thinking the CIM agent is the issue.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually we can telnet to the IP at the port 5989 address so it does not appear to be the CIM agent.

We don't get any reciprocity between the Master consoles however and the IBM doc is incomplete so we are not 100% sure what we should see.

I know that on the EL arrays the field fill in.

c

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think it may be active perl issue. Should we co-locate the active perl with the SVC SRA scripts?

0 Kudos
tferris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Metro and Global clusters are supported Per IBM.

See link:

Page down 3/4 of the way and you will see the notification.

We still have not been able to make SRM work with the SRA. We have IBM and VMware on it.

If anyone has a documented process please share Smiley Happy

cr

0 Kudos