VMware Cloud Community
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

IBM SRA installation failed

Does any one have idea, why the IBM DS4000/5000 Storage Replication Adapter installation fails on Windows 2008 R2 with error "The installer cannot run on your configuration. It will now quit"?

Thanks for answering.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jassyca
Contributor
Contributor

What is the version of the IBM SRA you're trying to install? Also, what version of SRM are you using?

0 Kudos
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to install SMSRAInstaller-WS32-01.01.35.06 (this is the latest one I found on VMware pages). I found this in compatibility matrix for my DS3524.

At first I try SRM 5, but it was not working at all (the SRA didn't find any SRM installed and the installation failed on this).

Then I try SRM 4.1 U2 and I got the error message, that I posted above. I figured out, that maybe the problem is, that Win2008 R2 are 64bit and this SRA is 32bit (I suppose).

0 Kudos
Jassyca
Contributor
Contributor

That sounds like a very old version of the SRA. The SRA is the responsibility of the storage vendor, which in this case is IBM, so you need to go to IBM to find the latest SRA. Don't know if I can post a link that will work like a link. If you can't click on this, copy and paste it into a browser.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/ds_open_api/VMWARE/SVC_SRA/

There's about a dozen different versions there. I think SRM 5 needs version 2 or better. Wish I could find the matrix that shows what version of SRA to use with what version of SRM and version of SVC. I know I've stumbled across something like that just a couple weeks ago, but now I can't find it.

Hope your luck is better than ours has been with IBM in general and the SVC in specific. VMWare 5 installed okay (oh, there were a couple of aggrevations that were ultimated caused because one point during the installation, I used the drop-down to *choose* the server's name instead of typing in the server's fully qualified DNS name.. you wouldn't think that would make any difference but it did). And SRA installed just fine too. But that's as far as I will be able to help. The next step is to list the datastores and our SVC SRA could not list *any* datastores in SRM. The reason it couldn't is because none of the datastores were ever "consistent synchronized". Long story but, basically, we can't use SVC's global mirroring as it doesn't like our data line. Good night but IBM has some insanely picky data line requirements in order for their damn global mirror to work. ("Lost packets must be fewer than .01%." "POINT Zero One percent? You're kidding, right?" "No.") Our data line was just never ever "clean" enough, despite the fact that a pair of IBM AS400's had absolutely NO problem replicating across that same allegedly "unclean" data line. They had no problem sharing the line with the SVC's while the SVC's threw a hissy fit if they had to share with the AS400's. So we quit using global mirroring for replication and we will be using VMWare's replication instead. It's not as efficient as SVC would have been but at least it's not as finicky.

Anyway, I hope the above link helps. If you search through some of the older posts here, you'll find a message by a fellow who has written a "how to install VMWare SRM 5" on his blogsite. Lots of good tips in that how-to so try to find it.

0 Kudos
JJ2250
Contributor
Contributor

You have to right-click the SRA installer and change it to Server 2003 SP1 compatability mode.  The installation should complete the next time you run it.

0 Kudos
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, with compatibility mode will the SRA installed, but for me it didn't work properly.

Anyway, the solution of this problem is to download the new SRA for DS3500 which was finally released by IBM. Problem solved. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos