VMware Cloud Community
dhanosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am designing an SRM environment with vSAN. The client needs to power off and power on the VMs in two different sequence( priority). I would like to know if that is possible with SRM?

I am designing an SRM environment with vSAN. The client needs to power off and power on the VMs in two different sequence( priority). I would like to know if that is possible with SRM?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can configure VM dependencies which will guarantee that VM2 will be Powered On before VM1. Excerpt from the doc: By configuring a dependency, you can ensure that the virtual machines start on the recovery site in the correct order. Dependencies are only valid if the virtual machines have the same priority. (Configure Virtual Machine Dependencies )

Hope this helps,

Daniel G.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can organize and power on VMs in recovery plan priority group from 1 to 5 depends on your needs. For more information, you can see the documentation - Specify the Recovery Priority of a Virtual Machine.

Hope this helps,

Daniel G.

dhanosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Daniel for the reply.

But , can you clarify a bit more. Can we power OFF virtual machines in one priority and power ON the virtual machines in different priority? Say. VM1 and VM2 has dependencies and during power OFF VM1 in priority 1 and VM2 in priority 3. As I understand, in this case, VM1 will be powered OFF first followed by priority 2 VMs and then followed by priority 3 VMs ( VM2) and so on. If I am not wrong, the priority 1 VMs will be powered ON first at DR site , followed by priority 2 VMs, then priority 3 and so on. ie) VM1 will be powered ON first and then VM2.  But during power ON, I need VM2 needs to be powered ON first rather than VM1. But, as in above case, since VM2 is in priority 3, it will be powered on after VM1 because VM1 is in priority 1. My question is, is it possible to power ON VM2 before VM1?

Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can configure VM dependencies which will guarantee that VM2 will be Powered On before VM1. Excerpt from the doc: By configuring a dependency, you can ensure that the virtual machines start on the recovery site in the correct order. Dependencies are only valid if the virtual machines have the same priority. (Configure Virtual Machine Dependencies )

Hope this helps,

Daniel G.

dhanosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Daniel. You provided the information which I was looking for. Thanks once again.