VMware Cloud Community
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to reverse primary and recovery sites?

I have a functioning SRM v5 environment that was setup a year ago.  Failovers and test failovers work well.   However, now I've been told that I need to reverse the primary and recovery sites as the roles of our datacenters have changed (GRRRRRRRR!!!!!)

I'm running ESXi and vCenter v5.  I have a vCenter server and SRM server in each datacenter.  I have multiple 500GB luns with protected VMs.  How can I go about swapping this SRM infrastructure such that SiteA (primary) / SiteB (recovery) becomes SiteA (recovery) / SiteB (primary)?  Do I need to completely rebuild everything?  Or can I maintain the existing installation on the SRM servers and modify the SRM configuration in vCenter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Why to not simply perform a planned migration from A to B and then re-protect?

Miichael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

You dont have to rebuild.

First break the site pairing  from SRM. ( optional )

Then delete recovery plan,  from original Site B ( take screen shot each recovery plan to have reference about protection group in it )

Then delete protection group from Original Site A ( take screen shot each protection to have reference for placing virtual machine back to it )

Then re-create the site pairing from other Site  ( Optional )

Delete place holder VM from Original Site B.

=============

Reverse replication on Storage Array from New Site A to New Site B

=====

Create protection group from new Site A

Create Recovery plan from Site B.

Note : Take backup  of SRM DB

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Miichael.

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Michael M. wrote:

Miichael.

Good question.  I wasn't sure of the repercussions of performing this simple step.  Does SRM have an expectation that site A still remains the primary?  Would this cause any confusion within SRM failovers?

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mohammed,

I assume this includes unprotecting and migrating those VMs off the lun correct?

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Unprotecting yes and the manually reprotecting it.  

When you said changing Sites , does it include changing location of production virtual machine from site A to B ? If this yes ,  As mal_michael  said , go ahead with planned migration and reprotect..

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, it includes changing the VM location. I'll move forward with the planned migration and reprotect. Thanks!

0 Kudos