VMware Cloud Community
SatB
Contributor
Contributor

How to add datastore to existing Protection group

Please suggest how to add datastores to the existing Protection group in SRM 8.1. I am not getting the option adding in the Edit Protection group both in WebClient & HTML Client. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SMcT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What type of protection group is it?

Blog: stephanmctighe.com Twitter: @vStephanMcTighe
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @SatB ,

If this is a protection group based out of storage array replication, this datastore should be part of a consistency group within the storage array to group a specific set of volumes and VMs. Ensure this datastore has VMs in it and is not part of another protection group.

0 Kudos
SatB
Contributor
Contributor

Storage array based

0 Kudos
SMcT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are 2 'Storage Array based' protection group types, I going to assume you are using the Datastore Groups type rather than Storage Policy type.  

When you are in the edit Protection Group wizard, are you seeing the datastore you need in the list or is it there but not allowing you to select it?

If you are not seeing the datastore you need, you will need to following AshilKrishnan's advice and confirm its part of a consistency group (replicated) on the array.

Another thing to check is that if you have more than one array configured as an array pair, you aren't attempting to select a datastore from a different array to the datastore already selected.

0 Kudos
SatB
Contributor
Contributor

These datastores are from different storage array. so in this case, is it not possible to add the datastore to the existing protection group?

If yes, can I delete the existing protection group and try to create a new group selection for both storage array datastores.

0 Kudos
SatB
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, its Datastore Groups. I am not able to see the datastores in the edit option and these datastores are from the different storage array, we have added the storage array to SRM.
so in this case, is it not possible to add the datastore to the existing protection group?

If yes, can I delete the existing protection group and try to create a new protection group by selecting both storage array datastores.

0 Kudos
SMcT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You won't be able to add a datastore from a different array pair into it.

When using the new Protection Group Wizard for a Datastore Group type, you will see that you have to select an array pair.  You can't choose more than one array pair.

If you want them to be in the same protection group(datastore group type), move them onto the same array.

You also need to make sure you have configured the other array in SRM as an array pair if you want to protect VM's on it.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
SatB
Contributor
Contributor

ok. thanks for the details

0 Kudos
SMcT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @SatB did you get your problem sorted? 

0 Kudos