VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to Update DNS with SRM

Hi All,

We are planning to deploy SRM in our office. As per the Network architecture the IP's of Virtual Machines(All Windows) will be changed at DR. Now the first question that comes into one's mind that how the DNS will be updated with the DR IP address of Virtual Machines.

I have searched a lot about this topic and I can find "dns_update.cmd" scripting process to update the DNS or to use Dynamic DNS but only in old URL's & Document. However in the latest SRM documentation I cant see such script or process details.

As per some of the latest blogs Windows Machines will be able to update their DNS record during the boot at the DR Site, but I cannot find any relevant document to support this.

Can anyone guide about the process of updating DNS for Windows Virtual Machine when their IP address are going to be changed at the DR site please share any relvant document if the VM's will update DNS record during reboot with new IP.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

With SRM 6.1 (and previous versions) the DNS update scripts included with SRM are located on the SRM server here: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\scripts\callouts. These can be called as part of the recovery plan to update DNS.

If you are using Windows DNS, another (far better in my opinion) option is to use microsoft Dynamic DNS updates (Understanding Dynamic Update). This will have the VM update the DNS server when the VM first boots with the new address.

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That might only work with Windows VM - but potentially not with appliances. Actually just about to set up a test in the lab first thing - so I will find out how the DNS stuff works .... i hope Smiley Happy

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos