VMware Cloud Community
AndyTipton
Contributor
Contributor

How do you unprotect a single VM?

Using SRM 5.0 and RecoverPoint 3.4.

The option is there in SRM Protection Group settings to "Remove Protection" on individual VMs but when you do it marks the protection group as "Not Configured" and recoveries fail indicating the VM you unconfigured needs to be included.

I can't recover every VM due to licensing restrictions nor do I want to load up my protected datastores with only Tier 1 VMs for risk mitigation reasons. Seems like a simple thing but I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Anyone come across this before?

Andy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
harshahosur81
Contributor
Contributor

storage vmotion that VM from the replicated datastores to an unreplicated datastore. Easiest way to unprotect a VM Smiley Happy

Harsha Hosur. VCDX #135; MCTS; CCA
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

if you use vSphere 5.0 and are Storage vMotioning a VM and the VM is attached to a VDS, I suggest reading this post first: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2012/04/11/ha-fails-to-initiate-restart-when-a-vm-was-svmotioned-and-on...

Indeed, if you want a VM to be unprotected, move it to non-replicated storage!

0 Kudos
AndyTipton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Duncan & Harsha. As mentioned it wasn't my preference to svmotion my vm's around because I don't want all my tier 1's bunched together (plus it's a lot of after hours work for me) but it's looking more & more like this is the only option.

I was doing some more testing with this and thing is it did work as expected for some VM's but then wouldn't work for others so I resolved that it's too flawed to use in my protection solution.

Cheers, Andy

0 Kudos
harshahosur81
Contributor
Contributor

unless you move the VMs away from the replicated storage its always going to assume that the complete group is unprotected. Although in my DR tests, the testing was sucessful for the other VMs which are protected ( only 2 VMs in my test lab though Smiley Happy)

Harsha Hosur. VCDX #135; MCTS; CCA
0 Kudos