VMware Cloud Community
rmagoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do customization specifications work in SRM?

We're trying to use the customization specifications to re-IP with SRM. I'm trying to get a clear understanding on what the process is for successful re-IP operations when SRM fails over to the recovery site. This particular environment doesn't use any customization specifications when deploying VMs. They utilize a custom Windows Server build ISO to deploy new VMs. If no customization specifications exist, and SRM only cares about the IP information when failing over, this is where my confusion lies. My understanding of sysprep (or the mini setup process) is that the answer file needs to have valid user, organization and license key to process without interuption. If SRM only cares about the new IP information, where are the other fields coming from if no customization specifications exist.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The customization done with SRM is different to what is done during VM deployment. Customization is usually deployed using the dr-ip-customizer.exe tool on the SRM recovery side server. dr-ip-customizer.exe generates a CSV file containing all of the shadow VMs, you can then populate this CSV file with the new IP info per virtual nic, per VM. This CSV file is then used as an input to dr-ip-customizer.exe which will then generate the customization specs and attach them to the recovery plan on the protected side. In this scenario you don't need to worry about sysprep or answer files. There is more info in the admin guide, pg 54 in the 1.0 admin guide, or page 51 of the 4.0 guide.

Hope this helps.

-alex

0 Kudos