VMware Cloud Community
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I install NetCat onto SRM server

I've been asked to open ports 31031 & 32032 between the production hosts and the SRM server in the DR site, which has been configured on the firewalls, however I need to test that the new rules are working. My SRM server in the DR site does not have ports 31031 & 32032 open currently, so I'm not sure how to open them temporarily so I can test the firewall rules. I usually use netcat to open a port for testing but it seems on the SRM server, this command is not available and the SRM server does not have internet access to install netcat using yum.

Is there a way I can do this?

SRM V8.2.1

Build 17078489 

vCenter V6.7u3n

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @JDMils_Interact ,

These ports are used by vSphere replication and not SRM servers. ESXi host at source to target replication server on port 31031.

If you are trying to test connectivity between ESXi and vSphere replication appliance, you can run nc commands from source ESXi host to target replication appliance.

From ESXi host:  nc  VR IPaddr  31031. For ex:  nc x.x.x.x  31031

Let me know if you have any questions

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So does the traffic from source hosts travel along port 31031/32032 to the SRM server or to the vCenter server?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@JDMils_Interact ,

Again, these ports are used between source ESXi host and target vSphere replication appliance. vCenter and SRM are not in the picture for these ports.

SRM 8.2 ports 

So the question is:

1. What is the issue ?

2. Are you using vSphere replication or storage array replication to protect VMs ?

3. Why do you need connectivity between source hosts and SRM server on port 31031/31032 ?

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are using storage array replication, so I assume that the NetApp storage in Production replicates to the NetApp storage in DR.

All I'm doing is setting up the required ports according to VMware's documentation. However from our discussion, it seems that ports 31031 & 32032 would not be used in my environment since I am using storage array replication?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@JDMils_Interact ,

Yes, you got that right. Replication software from the storage array will manage the replications and SRM will just automate/orchestrate certain tasks for you.

These ports are not required when you are using SRM with storage replication.

0 Kudos