VMware Cloud Community
Ryzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help Needed with SRM PoC - EMC Replication to HDS

Hi All,

Was hoping someone might be able to provide some assistance here. Im trying to build a small PoC system with SRM to evaluate it and get a better understanding of how it works. My biggest problem at the moment resides around Storage replication.

We currently have an EMC vMAX Symmetrix in our Singapore Datacenter, in our Sydney Datacenter we currently run a HDS AMS2100. Based on what I have read and understand about SRM, I need an array based replcation tool.Now im aware of EMC's SRDF, however I do not believe that this will replicate to a HDS array.

Can anyone provide any insight as to how I might go about getting this running. I'm not to sure of a way i can replicate EMC to HDS and vice versa.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
munishpalmakhij
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ryzz,

I have similar situation. I was wondering did u manage to find any solution for the same .

I have EMC Clarion at 1 site and HDS AMS 2100 on another. How to perform Array Based Replication  between two sites?

Regards

Munish

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

To do this for real - one of the solutions you could utilise that understands heterogenous array environments is EMC's RecoverPoint that offloads the replication to dedicated appliances and can (depending on their HCL) certainly support the EMC arrays and possibly the HDS (model type depending)

I would talk to your EMC rep around some of the combination of storage virtualization and HA over metro distance possibilities with technologies like VPLEX

FalconStor, HP Lefthand VSA are also possible alternatives

If you wanted to test and play to understand the workflows and ease of deployment, run book creation I would download either the EMC VNX simulator - Look on Nick Weaver - niockapedia site - for the Uber VNX VSA or deploy some of the other SRM supported VSA from Lefthand at both sites

The alternative of course from an SRM testing perspective is to use vSphere's host based replication in conjunction with SRM to test the functionality

Many thanks

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
munishpalmakhij
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to share an update. I managed to download the RecoverPoint 3.5 Virtual Appliance (ISO File). I tried installing it . I was not able to configure it as it had specific requirement such as Nealon processors and FC connectivity. We didnt have free servers for the same so it got stuck, Smiley Sad

I was wondering has anybody got chance to play with it

@ Alex

Host based replicaiton is also on our plans but our first priority was storage replication that's why we wanted to test RecoverPoint

Regards

Munish

0 Kudos