VMware Cloud Community
degracia
Contributor
Contributor

Failed SRM Site

Hi everyone,

I have the following scenario: Two SRM sites, each site has a VM with SRM Server 5.5 and a physical host with vCenter 5.5 and SQL Server 2008 R2 hosting vCenter and SRM databases. Replication is done via vSphere Replication.

On the protected site, we needed to migrate vCenter and SQL to a new physical host. vCenter was reinstalled and its database restored. The SRM database was also restored, but logically SRM plugin is not available. Now the SRM server is not working. We checked the SRM database properties and logins, checked the DSN configuration, and ran installcreds.exe. When trying to repair the SRM installation using the setup program and the Modify option, setup stops immediately.

If on the protected site we decide to create a new database, reinstall SRM, and pair it to the recovery site, will this affect the protection groups and recovery plans that are still visible on the recovery site? Any thoughts about this case is really appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Did you follow this (VMware KB: Migrating an SRM server to run on a different host) KB when you did this? Did you backup/snapshot before you started (do you have a way to rollback?). If you haven't already I'd recommend opening an SR and seeing how they can assist.

If you start over on one side you will have to reinstall on the other site and recreate all SRM components (mappings, PGs, RPs, etc).

On a side note, you mentioned your vCenter server is installed on a physical server and your SRM server is on the same host. I would highly recommend looking at installing vCenter on a VM and installing SRM on a separate VM (assuming licensing isn't a major concern). It will make maintenance and upgrades easier in the future. If you are looking at having to reinstall SRM, I'd highly recommend installing SRM 5.8 instead of 5.5. There are a number of improvements that should make the upgrade worthwhile and it only requires vCenter 5.5 U2.

0 Kudos