VMware Cloud Community
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Experience with FalconStor NSS and SRM?

Has anyone implemented a FalconStor NSS for WAN replication with SRM for DR? On paper their product looks really good, and I like their application transaction consistency feature. I realize it's not real-time replication, so you have to perform snapshots as frequently as you need to meet your RPO.

My questions are how well it actually works, the ease of which it integrates with SRM, and if you are happy with the product or would look elsewhere. Doing a search on FalconStor didn't turn up any hits with someone actually using NSS.

Any input would be appreciated..positive or negative.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
5 Replies
marktbreaux
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck DSeaman? I am looking into getting a vmware solution in place. I am wondering whether or not I need a separate backup NAS device or can I just use an appliance like this for both backup and SAN.

0 Kudos
dieselman
Contributor
Contributor

I've had several successful deployments with NSS and SRM, please contact me directly if you need some references. There are also several VMware SE's who have done deployments and POCs with FalconStor's NSS.

As far as the RPO for DR, I want to clarify that NSS is able to do both Continuous Replication, and Periodical!!! Doing continuous replication is actually very simple, but the thing you need to consider with performing replication in continuous mode, is the amount of bandwidth you actually need to send all the I/O's (all I/O's are sent in in a preserved write order, so the replica disk is pretty much a near-synchronous mirror).

Most customers end up going with Periodical replication mode (the other option) for most protected VMFS and RDM volumes, because it requires significantly less bandwidth than the real time approach (up to 97% in bandwidth savings, using FalconStor's Microscan technology).

The NSS appliances do give you the flexibility to choose between Continuous or Periodical replication for each different protected volume, so you can tailor your RPO based on the application being protected.

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You may be interested in reviewing this proven practive of configuring SRM & FalconStor NSS - http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1252

Rgds

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
marktbreaux
Contributor
Contributor

If you wouldn't mind which NSS did you go with? Appliance or Software? How much was the appliance (est.)?

0 Kudos
dieselman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark, I believe the NSS appliances are licensed by storage capacity, but I don't know the exact details. You should contact a FalconStor Sales Rep to obtain more information (btw, which state are you located in?). The NSS Gateway (SVD certified by VMware) is going to allow you to attach your existing SAN storage to it, so you can replicate between 2 different sites that may have different storage array types (or same array type); you can get the fully built Storage Gateway Appliance from FalconStor, or the Software Appliance Kit (SAK), to be installed on a supported server hardware; see the list below:

http://www.falconstor.com/en/pages/?pn=MatrixServerHardware

I have heard from partners that the implementation cost of FalconStor NSS is significantly less than both IBM SVC or EMC RecoverPoint, but again, I do not deal with dollar figures (in case you haven't figured it out, I am a techie :P). Keep in mind that NSS has built-in IP-based replication, and built-in Compression/Encryption (on top of the MicroScan bandwidth reduction engine).

There is also a NSS all-in-one appliance that has internal storage drives (limited storage expansion, but it doesn't require an existing SAN or investing into a SAN); the all-in-one appliance in essence is a SAN array on its own (NSS-S series)! You can replicate from a NSS Gateway to a NSS all-in-one, and vice versa.

Finally, the Virtual Appliance model is the most cost-effective, but has a more restricted I/O bandwitch capacity, and has a more limited storage capacity (ideal for ROBO sites with light to moderate loads).

0 Kudos