jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

Error - Module 'MonitorLoop' power on failed

Hello, I currently have a recovery plan configured with three VMs and I'm testing the plan.

All three are in separate ESXi host clusters.

Two of the three VMs can power on successfully during the test, but the third VM cannot. I receive "Error - Module 'MonitorLoop' power on failed".

The VM with the error is only utilizing 2 CPUs, 4GB of memory, and a single 60GB VMDK. I've reviewed to ensure there are no memory or CPU locks or reservations and there are not. I've also confirmed adequate storage is available on the protected datastore, SRM datastore, and recovery datastore. 

I don't see any of the above causing the issue.

Is there something else I can look into to resolve this error and proceed with successfully testing the recovery plan?

Thank you in advance for your replies and support!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @jcha7965 ,

If the test VM is registered at recovery site, please try to power it on manually. If that too fails with the same error, then you need to check the tasks and events on vCenter server to identify the failure.

One of the symptoms was insufficient space to create swap file --> Module MonitorLoop power on failed 

0 Kudos
jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I read the post on yellow-bricks.com prior to submitting this question on the VMware forum.

I validated there was enough space on the datastore for the swap file, so that doesn't pertain to the VM in question.

Per the comment on the article, I also ensured there's no VM snapshot.

I will attempt to power on manually. 

Is there any other cause for the error? I see very little online while researching.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jcha7965
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, is there anything I can try to resolve the error? I recently powered off the VM and changed the swap file location to be stored with the VM. I tested the Recovery Plan a few times (also updated the power on priority from 3, then 2, and finally 1) and am still receiving the MonitorLoop error. 

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ben_Austin
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this helps...I ran into the same issue running GNS3VM on R720 with ESXi 7.0.   The R720 has 384GB RAM and GNS3 was assigned with 200GB.  I got the error when i change GNS3 to 300GB, but when I changed it back to 200, I can boot it up.

0 Kudos