VMware Cloud Community
fordian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Dummy question about SRM ?

Do I need an HBA connected to the SAN on the SRM server or SRA is only needed ?

Thank you

Dominic

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you are correct. The SRA is written by your storage vendor and allows the SRM server access to manage the storage array for either a test failover or a full failover. Depending on the vendor you may need to provide specific information about your storage when you install and configure the SRA. I would check the SRA documentation for the details and communication necessary.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You don't need to present storage to the SRM server so an HBA is not needed. However the SRA needs to communicate with your storage array at both sites so the proper networking will need to be in place to allow for that communication.

0 Kudos
fordian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just to confirm :

SRA talks to the Storage Processors to pass through its commands ?

Thank you

Dominic

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you are correct. The SRA is written by your storage vendor and allows the SRM server access to manage the storage array for either a test failover or a full failover. Depending on the vendor you may need to provide specific information about your storage when you install and configure the SRA. I would check the SRA documentation for the details and communication necessary.

0 Kudos
fordian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help

Dominic

0 Kudos
jbock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One clarification: whether or not you need to have an HBA connected to the SRM server is dependent on the implementation of the SRA and the SRA requirements. I'm not familiar with how all of the SRAs are implemented, but most of them do use TCP/IP to communicate with the storage array and as a result don't require an HBA in the SRM server. You should check with your storage vendor and check the SRA documentation to validate for your SRA what is required.

--Jon

fordian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help.

Dominic

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

SRA is storage replication adaptor which will communicate with Storage management console to operate all the storage related issue. When you configure SRM, you give the authentication to configure the storage array through SRA inside the SRM plugin. This will do all the storage related work through SRM plugin.

AM,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos