VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Determining the database size for SRM

Is there a good way I can estimate the size of the database that will be needed for SRM? For example, I know I want a SQL Server database that will handle an SRM deployment backing up 3000 VMs on 100 physical servers.  How can I estimate the database size?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I have attached the  calculator for SRM database sizing.   http://www.vmware.com/products/site-recovery-manager/resource.html

It shows for SRM 4.1, however I think it should be good for SRM 5.1.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

The calculator is giving me 20MB for my primary site and 175 for my backup site.  So I'm thinking I would start with 2 databases:

1.  Primary site:

30MB to allow for growth

2.  Secondary site:

200MB to allow for growth

That seems kind of lopsided - is that difference between primary and backup site sizes common?

It appears that predicting I/O characteristics is considered beyond the scope of what is necessary?

Also how should I determine how much RAM and how many vCPUs are needed for the virtual machine that will run the SQL server database that SRM will connect to? (SRM and it's database will be hosted on separate VMs)

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I am not sure about this question  "That seems kind of lopsided - is that difference between primary and backup site sizes common?"

"Also how should I determine how much RAM and how many vCPUs are needed for the virtual machine that will run the SQL server database that SRM will connect to? (SRM and it's database will be hosted on separate VMs),"

>> If you are running other database with SRM database in seperate SQL server , I dont see  any hard core  specific requriement  being documented for SRM DB.  Here is link for  SRM install guide which talks about DB creation and its requirment

http://pubs.vmware.com/srm-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/srm-install-config-5-1.pdf

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

0 Kudos