VMware Cloud Community
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deployed vSphere Replication however seem to be getting the attached unhelpful error :(

I have a a vSphere 6 environment with SRM and vSphere replication 6.0 appliances configured.  I have followed the instruction to the mark to the best of my knowledge.  I have configured the Replication appliances with additional separate NICs dedicated to replication alone.  These separate NICs are on their own dedicated VLAN and subnet and both appliances can ping each others replication NICs (across sites).  I have been assured there are absolutely no firewalls in the way or ports blocked.  Despite this I am encountering the following problem after configuring a VM for replication on the target site ....

VM appears to be replicating with progress bar for the initial sync however eventually I get the below error at the recovery site (despite seeing a 100% progress bar completing)...

TestVM Configuration error: Replication "TestVM" on the source site has been force-stopped

After further examination of the datastore contents at the recovery site, I see the VM directory and stub files however the actual file sizes are 2-3KB where as the "Provisioned Size" is correct 27GB any idea's ?

Thanks in advance

System Information

Vendor:VMware, Inc.
Appliance Name:vSphere Replication Appliance
Appliance Version:6.1.1.14190 Build 4595498

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Greg from VMware support came back on this one ....

Error: Replication "TestVM" on the source site has been force-stopped.

This is an issue with the hbr disks and the sync, as opposed to the configuration of the environment.

The only way to get around this is to recreate the replication for the VM from as new.

You will need to force stop the replication to delete the replicated data and then re-configure the VM's replication.

Make sure all target sites are authenticated under the Manage tab for vsphere Replication.

Make sure after Force Stop the VM is removed from the incoming and outgoing tabs for the sites.

You could also replicate the disks to a new datastore to ensure the new data does not get referenced in anyway to the old.

SSH commands

You can run these commands from ssh to query the replication of a VM.

#vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms grep -i VMname

GID=> # vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getConfig VMID

#vmreplica.getState Returns the state of replication. If there is currently a replication task in progress it will show the status of the ongoing replication.

#vmreplica.queryReplicationState Returns the current replication state of a virtual machine and the amount of data transferred.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jameseydoyle
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What do you mean when you say you configured a separate NIC separated to replication alone on the appliances? This is not a documented configuration, so far as I can see (if I am mistaken, please provide me the link). If you want to separate replication on the appliances, you should deploy out additional HBR servers for the replication.

However, the ESXi hosts on the source site must also be able to reach the replication ports. Run the following commands on the host that is managing the 'TestVM'.

"vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms"

Then note the VMID of the TestVM (it will be an integer)

Then run:

vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getConfig <VMID>

where <VMID> is replaced with the VMID you recorded above.

Check the Destination IP Address for the replication and ensure that your host can reach this address on port 31031. You could use the 'nc -z <IP Address> 31031' command to test the connectivity.

0 Kudos
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Greg from VMware support came back on this one ....

Error: Replication "TestVM" on the source site has been force-stopped.

This is an issue with the hbr disks and the sync, as opposed to the configuration of the environment.

The only way to get around this is to recreate the replication for the VM from as new.

You will need to force stop the replication to delete the replicated data and then re-configure the VM's replication.

Make sure all target sites are authenticated under the Manage tab for vsphere Replication.

Make sure after Force Stop the VM is removed from the incoming and outgoing tabs for the sites.

You could also replicate the disks to a new datastore to ensure the new data does not get referenced in anyway to the old.

SSH commands

You can run these commands from ssh to query the replication of a VM.

#vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms grep -i VMname

GID=> # vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getConfig VMID

#vmreplica.getState Returns the state of replication. If there is currently a replication task in progress it will show the status of the ongoing replication.

#vmreplica.queryReplicationState Returns the current replication state of a virtual machine and the amount of data transferred.

0 Kudos