VMware Cloud Community
Cl3gh0rn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DS4800: Non-fatal error - Issue

Hi,

As per http://communities.vmware.com/thread/188611, I am receiving "DS4800: Non-fatal error information reported during execution of array integration script" when doing a test Recovery Plan (fire-drill).

My DS4800 has no username (as all DS4800's) and no password set. I therefore do not enter a username or password as part of the SRM configuration.

I understand that LUNs with a particular naming convention, i.e. "srm_snapshot_something" are required to be set up on other storage systems to enable the successful testing of the Recovery Plan.

What is the correct naming convention to be used with the DS4800?

What documentation can VMware provide as part of the their testing which occurred to allow the DS4800 to be approved on the compatibility matrix?

Thanks,

Dave

VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KrishnaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need a physical hard disk that's not part of any raid set (array) for each Flashcopy. No configuration needed - you'll have to be careful how you layout your LUNs to meet this restriction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KrishnaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Several suggestions -

Please make sure you're running with latest available SRA - 01.00.35.12

Are you sure you're not running into restriction 4.2 from SRA readme?

You do not need to set up any snapshots for SRA. During test of recovery plan, SRA will create snapshots. Only guideline is to not name other LUNs the same format as snapshot luns that will be created (drsra-snap-xx). This guideline is documented in the IBM SRA configuration guide, which should be available from IBM techdocs site.

Cl3gh0rn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great answer, thanks. I found "Disaster Recovery with VMware Site Recovery Manager and a DS4000 Series Storage Subsystem or a DS5000 Storage Subsystem" here "39871-00RevA.pdf".

I am not able to check the ReadMe at the moment. Can you paste the contents of 4.2 up here?

Thanks!

VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
Cl3gh0rn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I see that SRA Readme 4.2 says:

4.2 Testing a recovery plan currently requires an unused physical disk for each Flashcopy. A Flashcopy is created for each protection group specified in a recovery plan. SRA will continue creating Flashcopies until it runs out of disks, at which point error messages are generated - "Message exceeds database maximum string length".

Workaround - Only test with as many protection groups at a time as there are free disks. This restriction will be lifted in the next SRA release.

FlashCopy is installed and is running on this SAN. I do not understand exactly what "requires an unused physical disk for each Flashcopy" means as far as the configuration is concerned.

What do I actually have to configure to make 1 physical disk per Flashcopy is available?

VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
KrishnaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You'll need a physical hard disk that's not part of any raid set (array) for each Flashcopy. No configuration needed - you'll have to be careful how you layout your LUNs to meet this restriction.

0 Kudos
Cl3gh0rn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Apologies.. How do I create a stand-alone disk which is not part of an array on the DS4800?

VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
Cl3gh0rn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks. I made a disk available, not part of an array and the Test Recovery Plan now works.

Cheers!

VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos