VMware Cloud Community
CXSANGUY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct way to RE-IP all servers at the DR Site?

So I saw in the documentation that you can create a customization but in practice that cannot work. The doco states as if you can just click through until you get to the network page but you cannot.... you have to fill out everything. In no way is it acceptable to essentially "re-sysprep" all boxes as part of the DR process. I simply want to change all of the IP Addresses. I've seen elsewhere on these forums references to "exporting" a vm list, changing ip's in excel, then reimporting them. I'm unable to find any official documentation on this procedure nor any more detailed instructions on how exactly to do that. I would be great if anyone can assist or at least tell me what they've been doing to RE-IP the entire DR site including such servers as SQL, Exchange, and AD DC's.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthewCEvans
Contributor
Contributor

I think what you are looking for is the "dr-ip-customizer.exe" tool. The information about the tool can be found starting on page 54 of the Site Recovery Manager Administration Guide. I just started working with the tool last week, but it was pretty straight forward once I found the right tool.

The basic process is to export the current NIC settings to a CSV, edit the CSV with your new IP addresses and then import it back into SRM with the new desired IP addresses.

In reality this tool is helping to create the Customization Specifications for you, so you can actually see them from the Edit - Customization Specifications window after you follow the process.

Matthew Evans

Kraft & Kennedy, Inc.

360 Lexington Ave.

New York, NY 10017

Direct: 212.692.5608

email: evans@kraftkennedy.com

Matthew Evans Kraft & Kennedy, Inc. 360 Lexington Ave. New York, NY 10017 Direct: 212.692.5608 email: evans@kraftkennedy.com
0 Kudos
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Matthew is correct on the CSV solution. That should work for you.

As for the UI based mechanism, please note that while it asks you for all the sysprep information, SRM will ignore all of it besides the IP information. SRM will only change the IP information, no matter what you enter on the other screens.

That the UI based system requires you to enter lots of information that will be discarded later, taking time and effort and confusing people in the process, is one of the big reasons for the implementation of the CSV mechanism in U1.

0 Kudos
WAMTech
Contributor
Contributor

I have come to the same road block with trying to figure out how to re-ip my VM and register them with DNS in the recovery site. I tried running the dr-ip-customizer.exe in the protected site VC server but I get a security cert error that does not allow me to run it. I will continue to try but in the meantime I just wanted to post my quetion to see if there are other people who have successfully run it and how to go about making changes and importing it back to the DR site. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
MatthewCEvans
Contributor
Contributor

There was some new documentation released that might help clear up some of the questions:

I definitely get warnings about the certificate (we are just using the default certs) when I run the dr-ip-customizer.exe tool about the certs but always have the option to choose Yes or No:

Do you trust this server? (Y/N)

Are you not seeing that option available?

Matthew Evans

Kraft & Kennedy, Inc.

360 Lexington Ave.

New York, NY 10017

Direct: 212.692.5608

email: evans@kraftkennedy.com

Matthew Evans Kraft & Kennedy, Inc. 360 Lexington Ave. New York, NY 10017 Direct: 212.692.5608 email: evans@kraftkennedy.com
0 Kudos