VMware Cloud Community
GTO455
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuring Network Mapping from RS back to PS

Hi folks,

I'm starting the implementation of SRM 5.02 in my environment, and I have a few questions about networking that I hopoe someone can answer.

I have gone through the whole process of pairing the sites, but I am a little confused about the netowrk mappings.

At my Protected  Site (PS) I have 3 different networks that I need to port over to my Recovery Site. At my Recovery (DR) Site I have one network.(This is sufficient considering we have a small set of systems at the DR site). I was able to map  the 3 networks successfuly from my PS to my RS. My intention is to re-IP the VM's at the RS.

However, when configuring mapping back from my RS to my PS, I am able to map only one network back to my Protected Site. This seems to be a limitation/configration of SRM

Besides creating additional VLAN's at my RS to map back to PS, is there any other way to map  a single VLAN at my RS to my PS?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

It sounds like you are creating a new recovery plan rather than configuring failback on your orignal plan.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
GTO455
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, I havent gotten to the point of even creating a plan yet. I'm still configuring the sites and found that I cannot map back to the same networks.

From My Protected Site I can map 3 local networks to a single network at my Recovery Site (We only have/need one at the DR site).

PS Networks             RS Networks

A  ------------------------|

B  ------------------------|-----> D

C  ------------------------|

However, from my Recovery Site, I can only map back to one network, and I need to map back to the original 3 (in case of failback).

PS Networks             RS Networks

A      |------------------------|

B  <--|------------------------|----- D

C      |------------------------|

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

As a workaround, at your DR site you can create 3 portgroups with same VLAN ID configured.

This will allow you to do appropriate mappings for failback.

Michael.

0 Kudos