VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Choice between MirrorWiew cum SRM AND vReplicator for DR Site

We are planning to use MirrorView cum SRM for replication and DR for Remote Site. The link between HQ and Remote Site is TCP/IP 9Mbps.

We meet a consultant today. He says that by SRM is a one-way solution. It is cumbersome and time consuming when we failback from Remote Site to HQ after failover. In this way, he persuades us to use vReplicator.

We would like to seek your advice on whether his statement is correct (taking the speed of link into consideration) as we haven't used both technology before.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We would like to know whether MirrorView is a one-way solution AS it will take a lot of time to configure failback ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Icoda_-_DC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I havent used vReplicator but i can say the following for Mirrorview and SRM.

The failover is indeed 1 way at present from your primary site to your protected site. This can be "failed back" but is a manual process. Im pretty sure the administrator guide for SRM or the admin guide for the EMC SRA goes into the steps required to perform the process. I believe this restriction is due to the nature of how the clariion has primary and secondary copies of the LUN's.

Hope this helps

Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are planning to use MirrorView cum SRM for replication and DR for Remote Site. The link between HQ and Remote Site is TCP/IP 9Mbps.

We meet a consultant today. He says that by SRM is a one-way solution. It is cumbersome and time consuming when we failback from Remote Site to HQ after failover. In this way, he persuades us to use vReplicator.

We would like to seek your advice on whether his statement is correct (taking the speed of link into consideration) as we haven't used both technology before.

Thanks

Well, 9mps is not a very fat pipe... But I guess a lot depends on the I/O that your generating and what frequency of sync you require...

Failback is semi-manual process. SRM facilatates the process but doesn't completely automate it. But considering you only going to do it bi-annually or when there's a true disaster it is NOT that cumbersome. I've done about 10-20 failbacks, they get increasingly easier each time I do them. I think one of the myths of SRM, is probably going to be "Because there isn't a big undo arrow button which represents failback - you can't do failback or failback is hard".

I've asked the people I know for their opinon on vReplicator Vs SRM - I've not use vReplicator at all but I have some contacts who have.... I wouldn't be suprised if you consultant happens to be a reseller for vReplicator. Oddly enough they do recommend the products they sell a lot of the times!!!!!

I suspect the real comparision will be MirrorView Vs vReplicator - not vReplicator Vs SRM...

I will come back with what my contact(s) has to say...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Mike,

You are right. The consultant is a reseller of vReplicator. On the other hand, they are not local dealer of VMWare or EMC product.

Please kindly keep me posted of the comment on vReplicator.

Regards,

T

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tony, - there's a private message for you in the forum mail system...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
cabledguy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike

We have a similar decision but it's vreplicator vs SUN's replication product. Can you please forward that info to me also. Thanks.

0 Kudos