VMware Cloud Community
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing IP via Customizations Specifications Manager in Windows 2008 R2

I'm having problems automating the IP change for a win2008 R2 box. I've tried the customizer script as well as the Customizations Specifications Manager and they will not work. After making the change, i then edit the VM in the Recovery plan and try to select either the autogenerated one or the manually created one and get the error:

"The customization Specification 'servername' of type 'Windows' cannot be used to customize the guest operation system 'windows7Server64Guest' - screenshot attached

I thought this might have been b/c R2 wasn't supported until Update 1 but i updated the recovery side host and the error still occurs and it is showing as the correct OS as well. Should i need to update the host to Update 1 on the Protected side?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've updated the hosts and VC on the protected side and still getting the error. wondering if i need to recreate the protection group and the recovery plan.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

so now you have both VCs and all the hosts updated to Update1 on a recovery and protected sites?

what about vmware tools? is it updated to the latest version?

0 Kudos
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, everything is updated to Update 1. Also, vmware tools are up to date as well. Same error after recreating the protection group, recovery plan, and customization.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

did you try to use custom specification while cloning or deploying R2 vm?

i know it should be supported in U1 but maybe this is a vcenter issue.

0 Kudos
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just tried that this morning, i really did not expect it to work but it did. Now it looks like an SRM bug which we are testing and have no support for.

0 Kudos
hkrishnan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 4.0 only supports IP customization for guests that can be customized by vCenter 4.0. we are on a update to ensure IP customization of guests that can be customized by vCenter 4.0.1 including win 2k8 R2.

Thanks

Hari

0 Kudos
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Guess i'll see if i can workaround it for now by manipulating the OS version.

0 Kudos